How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: VW vs CV The great engine debate!  (Read 12224 times)

Offline Justin

VW vs CV The great engine debate!
« on: December 01, 2013, 08:30:22 AM »
VW vs Corvair. What are you guys flying? I need some help making up my mind. Here are a few questions/stats I'd like to know:

1. Have you flown both?
2. Which are you flying?
3. Reliability
4. HP (or prop at Rpm)
4. Weight
5. Cost of parts

Thanks!

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: VW vs CVThe great engine debate!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 11:09:23 AM »
Justin:

I have both engines and been involved with tuning and flying them... Properly prepared and maintained both engines are air worthy...

If you desire support the 1/2 Vw is by far your best choice...

Now the UV (Ultra-Vair 1/3 Corvair)

If you are a machinist or wanting to learn machining as you go the UV is far cheaper to build and has unique positive features... All donor parts of the engine are available and the conversion just uses the normal new rebuild wear parts... In hard $ this engine can be built for well below $1000... There are 29 pieces in this engine that require conversion and you will need to seek out a donor engine...

The head fractionalizing is way simple to do compared to the Vw  a n d head temps are rated by Chevrolet to 575 F  p l u s it has hydraulic lifters and stock rocker arm assembly - there is no 25 hour valve lash requirement...

The UV plans call for a Fairbanks Morse mag but several are using the Slick 2220 from Saturn Surplus new/old $125... The oil pump is from the type 1 Vw available from Steve Bennett at GPAS...

Balancing the crank in the UV has been straight forward unlike the 1/2 Vw...

The UV prop is driven from the flywheel end...

Performance cams and other Hotrod stuff are not required nor suitable for this engine...

I have seen a UV turn a Tennessee 54x22 prop 3300 RPM static - that works out to 35 HP...

If you are looking for a ready to go project Mike Pastor has a very nice LE with the UV engine up for sale as well as his 57 Chevy which is coming out in Hemmings this month...

Steve

Offline Justin

Re: VW vs CV The great engine debate!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 10:48:54 PM »
Great info, thanks!

Offline Rienk

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 08:12:41 PM »
How much does a UV weigh, all up?

Compared to a 1/2VW?

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 08:50:45 PM »
How much does a UV weigh, all up?

Compared to a 1/2VW?

http://ultra-vair.com

Offline riorex2002

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 09:51:40 PM »
Steve.your description of the CV leaves me with the feeling that there is great potential there.Having just come aboard I have  no insight as to its use.
There is a lot of history available re the half VW and I am sure most of the bugs have been addressed.If aCV is used would you not be starting with little
previous background?I am just at the start of my L/E and can go either way.The CV has kindled my interest.What is its history?
Rio vista

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 06:23:12 AM »
Steve.your description of the CV leaves me with the feeling that there is great potential there.Having just come aboard I have  no insight as to its use.
There is a lot of history available re the half VW and I am sure most of the bugs have been addressed.If aCV is used would you not be starting with little
previous background?I am just at the start of my L/E and can go either way.The CV has kindled my interest.What is its history?

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ultravair2/info

Offline riorex2002

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 07:59:41 AM »
Steve
       Thanks for the info,i did not know the site existed.Do you know approx. how many of these engines are actually flying now.The site looks quite active.
Rio vista

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 05:06:22 AM »
Does anyone have a Corvair engine project for sale in the lower part of the country. I am in Arkansas and looking for an engine.
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

Offline Justin

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »
There was an engine on creig's list at beebe. If you find yourself with an extra, let me know. I hear they multiply?

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 10:26:07 PM »
I sent an email about the engine at Beebe. It looks very rough but may be usable. Thanks
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

Offline Niri Tawa

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 05:01:27 AM »
Steve.your description of the CV leaves me with the feeling that there is great potential there.Having just come aboard I have  no insight as to its use.

CV engines are used quite a lot in Europe, mostly on Flying Fleas. I would use one on my HM 293 IF I could FIND one. I have been looking for over a decade, and cannot find a used engine anywhere in the Southwest.  After "Cash for Clunkers" ran it's course, the supply of used VW engines vanished down here as well. I lucked out, and got in on almost the ground floor of the Continental designed 084 and 042  military surplus engine craze, and have a bunch of them, but none for sale. The 084 is a tad heavy at 124 pounds all up, but it is lighter than the full VW, and makes 35 to 40 HP, depending on how you set it up. Parts for the 084 are getting harder to find, (the 042 is half an 084), so you may be stuck with a VW, which is far too expensive for me.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal