How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: DE SPAR FILL-IN BLOCK, SPACERS AND RIB LOCATION QUESTION  (Read 5593 times)

Offline John Reinking

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 42.0 Firefox 42.0
  • Eagle Type: DE-E-72
DE SPAR FILL-IN BLOCK, SPACERS AND RIB LOCATION QUESTION
« on: November 29, 2015, 12:50:05 PM »
The spar wing attatch fill-in blocks, spacers and Butt Rib and Rib #1 are a bit confusing to me.   The spar fill-in block and the spacer (no problem).   Noticed however that the Butt Rib and Rib #1 as well as the Wing Attach Plate overlay that location.  The ribs will then be 3/8" longer than the other ribs on the wing.

When building the ribs I used 1/4" x 1/2" stock for the first upright (which is glued to the spar).   Am considering inletting into that 1/2" stick a slip fit which would also then be reinforced with another 1/4" x 1/4" upright glued to the backside of the now inletted 1/4" x 1/2" upright.   Am also thinking of adding 1/4" triangular pieces along those two uprights.    NOTE:  Adhesive being used is T-88. 

Looking at AC43 and the plans (unless I missed it in there someplace) I don't see any other solution short of completely removing the first upright and then moving it back 3/8" to accomodate the extra width of the spar (and fittings) at the butt end while maintaining the correct length of the ribs to the trailing edge.

What solutions did you all use to solve this?    Or have I missed something?   The rest of the spar build is really straightforward.

Thanks      John Reinking/Woodinville, WA
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.86 Chrome 46.0.2490.86
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
Re: DE SPAR FILL-IN BLOCK, SPACERS AND RIB LOCATION QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:58:16 PM »
Hi John,

just doing all this bit at the moment, will get some images and an explanation to you soon.

cheers Paul

Offline John Reinking

• Browser:
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 11:17:57 PM »
Thanks, Paul, look forward to it.   John
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.86 Chrome 46.0.2490.86
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 03:03:29 AM »
John just sent you a PM

cheers Paul

Offline Richfroh

• Rich Frohmiller
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
  • Eagle Type: Cabin Eagle
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:07:05 PM »
I added a second 1/4" square piece behind the first vertical piece that glues to the spar when I made my ribs. I then cut off the thickness of the plywood doubler off the front strip of the rib. I cut a notch in the vertical piece to clear the wing attach fittings. The ribs near the strut attach point will need to be reinforced and trimmed to clear the ply doubler as well.
Rich Frohmiller

Offline John Reinking

• Browser:
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 11:18:26 PM »
Thanks guys.   I'll do that.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal