How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: modifying a LEXL to achieve Airbike like wing fold capability  (Read 7111 times)

Offline kfb

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
modifying a LEXL to achieve Airbike like wing fold capability
« on: November 28, 2015, 12:30:28 PM »
Hi
I haven't purchased the LEXL plans so have not had an opportunity to review them, but was wondering if it is possible to build a LEXL with the simple wing fold that can be done with an Airbike.  The possible obstacle I can see without seeing the prints is that the two struts do not go to a common lower attach point location, there are two separate locations for the lower strut attach points.  I think in the majority of wing folds, there is a single attach point.  Other than that, does the quick remove, ninety degree rotate , and then fold, seem like it would be doable for the LEXL?  All comments appreciated.
Kim Brown
Hawk12979@gmail.com

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 42.0 Firefox 42.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: modifying a LEXL to achieve Airbike like wing fold capability
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 03:28:40 PM »
Hi
I haven't purchased the LEXL plans so have not had an opportunity to review them, but was wondering if it is possible to build a LEXL with the simple wing fold that can be done with an Airbike.  The possible obstacle I can see without seeing the prints is that the two struts do not go to a common lower attach point location, there are two separate locations for the lower strut attach points.  I think in the majority of wing folds, there is a single attach point.  Other than that, does the quick remove, ninety degree rotate , and then fold, seem like it would be doable for the LEXL?  All comments appreciated.
Kim Brown
Hawk12979@gmail.com
You didn't mention that the Airbike has brace cables going from the wing both forward and aft to fuselage longeron anchor points if I recall correctly... A feature not to be ignored if the wing struts come together for the folding pivot... Both Legal Eagle & Airbike are (Ultra) lights... Look at the wing structure in Bodacious for the wing fold done correctly (Pics in the Legal Eagle Yahoo group)... Kitfox-Lite another wingfold structure to ruminate about...

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.86 Chrome 46.0.2490.86
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 04:54:14 AM »
Just a thought on the folding wing concept. This is my thought and I am not trying to make it fit anyone else.
When the idea of building an aircraft began stirring in my head; it absolutly had to have folding wings so it could be stored at home and trailered to a flying site.
Popular magazines from the past had images of homebuilts being towed by their tail riding  on their landing gear. What could be more simple than that. Less complicated than walking the dog.   Just throw it on the hitch and go flying. 
 So I limited all my dreams to folding wings then one day someone opened my eyes.
 I have drawings of two place aircraft. There are a lot of complications. Fuel lines , controls, the small concept of structural integrity,complex spar conections, clearance to other parts of the aircraft, and how do you secure all this loose flapping stuff for travel?  
 I was at Oshkosh and Zenith had just introduced the CH750. I was talking to one of the Heinz (spelling?) brothers, son of the prolific designer Chris Heinz. The new 750 did not have folding wings. But the 701 of which this new model is an evolution did. How come?  He answered without hesitation. Folding wings are not worth the effort. That he could remove the wings faster than he could fold the other's.
It made too much sense. So now If XL-7 needs to live at home it will, in a nice protective trailer with wings safely secured to the sides ot the trailer and the fuselage rolled up the center.  I will spend effort to make my aircraft break down and assemble more quickly. 
Tom XL-7

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.86 Chrome 46.0.2490.86
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 12:37:16 PM »
Les Homan has disassembly and re assembly down to a fine art. not sure how long it takes him, but here is a good time lapse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg56kw3kQ8M&list=FLgtcBjiQxnfIEDW_J8ImrCw

and this is how he transports is his eagle

cheers Paul

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal