How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Poll

Who is your go to for spruce?

Aircraft Spruce
4 (36.4%)
Wicks
2 (18.2%)
Other Supplier
4 (36.4%)
I used one/both listed here and I'm still looking!
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: March 14, 2014, 12:20:00 AM

Author Topic: Where'd you get that wood?  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Justin

Where'd you get that wood?
« on: December 13, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
If you selected other, please pass along the info if you liked them!

Thanks!

Offline aeroplain2003

Re: Where'd you get that wood?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »
When I settled on the LEU, it was because it was "Two-Five thousand, depending on your scrounging ability"
There is a guy in my area that restores Pianos and when he replaces the sound board he can't bring himself to pitch the old one; anyway, he has a pile! This Spruce quite often has one growth ring for 5-6 feet, no joke! Much re-working needs to be done with this wood, but if it was good enough for Steinway, it's good enough for me. This was used for the ribs only.
Not much building going on for me in the last many years, but the time has come to get it done. Kids are grown and much more time and money has freed up!!

Kent
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Offline rfeenstra

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 06:30:04 PM »
Hey, i know people in the piano rebuilding business.  Great idea.  those sound board ribs could be cut for great rib material.

Offline docmatt

• doc matt
  • 2015 Donor
  • DE E-04 under construction
  • Eagle Type: DE
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 10:12:40 PM »
I got the rib stock and ply from aircraft spruce.  Everything else was rough cut lumber from McCormick lumber, Madison, WI.
doc matt
DE E-04 under construction
Mineral Point, WI

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal