How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Progress Inspections  (Read 4291 times)

Offline John Reinking

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 43.0 Firefox 43.0
  • Eagle Type: DE-E-72
Progress Inspections
« on: January 15, 2016, 04:24:04 PM »
Several questions regarding inspections during wing build.   When to bring in EAA Tech Advisors and FAA Inspectors for progress signoffs.

Gluing up spars:   Do inspections before gluing on the plywood plate at the Strut Att. location or after spar completed?   Have EAA TA inspect finished wing and then the FAA?  (Seems obvious but thought I'd ask.)

Looking to start assembling Rt. wing in 6-8 weeks (depends on schedule.)    Thanks for your inputs and who knows, may run into y'all one of these days.

Regards,   John/Woodinville, WA
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 47.0.2526.111 Chrome 47.0.2526.111
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Re: Progress Inspections
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:21:42 PM »
John, inspections are not required until the plane is finished and ready for flight. Then you will need to find a DAR or get the FAA out(not sure if they actually come out anymore). It is a good idea to have a EAA tech counselor come out time to time and look at your work, they usually have good advise. If you haven't yet , join the local EAA chapter and get to know a few folks.
Frank

Offline John Reinking

• Browser:
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 08:47:21 PM »
Thanks, PropMan
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

Offline Gjsteube

• Noob
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:36:52 PM »
I just finished both wings and their ready for cover. I had my EAA Tech Counselor come by for the first time yesterday and give everything a close inspection before it got covered up. He took pics, made notes and documented the build quality, gave it a A+, he said it will help with FAA inspection, insurance, and resale down the road if I ever decide to part with her. The most important thing to me was great piece of mind about structural integrity.

Offline John Reinking

• Browser:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 03:40:37 PM »
Thank you.   Just the information I was looking for.   Thanks fellas.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal