How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Legal Eagle XL supplemental drawings  (Read 10976 times)

Offline dz1sfb

• Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.87 Chrome 49.0.2623.87
  • Eagle Type: XL-F-34
Legal Eagle XL supplemental drawings
« on: March 25, 2016, 10:02:52 AM »
Just want to shout out praises for the work of Scott W. (aka scottiniowa)! I just received my drawing ordered from him today and all I can say at this point is this is top notch!!!
:emoji_u1f601:
If you are building one of these birds, then spend just a few more bucks for his package. He is not making much off of these. I know what it costs to get materials printed on large format equipment. It is well worth it!!!

Thank you again Scott, it's just what I was expecting!
Ken N.
"Good is the enemy of best"

Offline JTMaze

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 47.0 Firefox 47.0
    • Filter Service and Supply
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
Re: Legal Eagle XL supplemental drawings
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 10:36:57 AM »
I too am using these drawings for my ribs and today I start gluing! I do have one question. Do the K block cover gussets replace the A1 and C gussets on the ailerons or are A1 and C used with the cover gusset? I also want to compliment Scott on his plans. For a first time builder like myself they are worth their weight in gold!

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 51.0.2704.106 Chrome 51.0.2704.106
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 03:27:58 PM »
I too am using these drawings for my ribs and today I start gluing! I do have one question. Do the K block cover gussets replace the A1 and C gussets on the ailerons or are A1 and C used with the cover gusset? I also want to compliment Scott on his plans. For a first time builder like myself they are worth their weight in gold!

Thanks  for the comments JTmaze,    I think I can shed light onto your question fairly strait fwd.  The K blocks are there to hold the cove (alum) Based on the fact that your glue is as strong or stronger than the wood, by making your ribs all the same, then gluing the K block exactly where you want it, to the gussets, you can easily get a very nice base for your cove. i.e. you cut the aileron free-then sand to shape- after some of your glue ups.--  Having this cove attaching just to the thin rib or gussets does not give you much. Adding the K block increases the area for attaching by 100% for hardly any weight, and also if made to plans, matches the supplied drawing for the actual aileron exactly.  Photos shown.

My intention for the Supplemental drawings were always to show how little things can make the build go much faster without having to calculate everything exactly. I hope this helps. 
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline JTMaze

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
    • Filter Service and Supply
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 08:39:06 PM »
Thanks for the information

Offline azevedoflyer

• Browser:
  • Chrome 79.0.3945.88 Chrome 79.0.3945.88
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 07:18:29 AM »
Scott,
Did you do the same for a DE?
How much for the pack?
Thanks,
azevedoflyer
azevedoflyer

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 79.0.3945.79 Chrome 79.0.3945.79
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 08:37:16 AM »
Scott,
Did you do the same for a DE?
How much for the pack?
Thanks,
azevedoflyer
I have never done any supplemental sheets for the DE wing, nor have I been asked to do them by anyone. Sorry. 
One thing I have thought of, and this has nothing to do with the build plans for the DE, is to provide full length rib drawings, with and without the D-Cell, and showing the spar locations exactly. But this would have to be for a published coordinates and given the exact cord length required.  In other words, I am NOT going to make something up, just to have. 

If any of you know how CAD produced splines work the simplest way to describe, would be the curved edge would never take a short cut, nor drift outside the boundary of the plots, Using a french curve and 10's of hours with the precisely plotted points can do the same.
If this package (full length drawing) can be folded, the shipping cost would/should be in the $2.50 for postage, if still need to be rolled, am right back to the $5.00 again. 

I would have to check on the print cost on our big machines, but should be less than $10.00  I could not do if only 1 or 2 want, just takes to much time.  So folks would have to let me know.  

But as all of you know, these full size drawings save hours on building rib jig and Router time.  Just food for thought

cheers
Scott
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline azevedoflyer

• Browser:
  • Chrome 79.0.3945.88 Chrome 79.0.3945.88
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 05:17:09 PM »
Thanks Scott.
If anybody else expresses an interest, they would join me in a waiting list, If the whole package is affordable.
Cheers,
azevedoflyer :)
azevedoflyer

Offline Sawyer

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 79.0.3945.130 Chrome 79.0.3945.130
  • Eagle Type: Xl
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »
I would like to add to this thread.  I received the plans and am very impressed by the work.  I have worked with house and commercial building prints many times but these are so detailed I have to read and look from page to page. Gonna put another table in my office area just for the prints and to make the rib jig, lots of study and reading first and see if I can get the jig made right then get my spruce and glue ordered, May source the glue locally I have heard about freezing issues and do not want to deal with that.  Thanks Scott for the fab prints, :)
Licensed but dormant since about 1996.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal