How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Wheel axels  (Read 3369 times)

Offline airman

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: double eagle
Wheel axels
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:35:11 AM »
I am having trouble finding 5/8 wheel axels. Any suggestions. Thanks steve

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
    • Joe's CNC
Re: Wheel axels
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 04:21:17 AM »
I am having trouble finding 5/8 wheel axels. Any suggestions. Thanks steve

Do you have a picture of an old one you can post, I imagine it is for the LEU not the XL, I dont have the plans for that one.
You could get a Blackmax axel, or maybe a high grade Bolt. I don't know what yours looks like.

Offline Hugh Sistrunk

• Black Hut Ops
  • Beta testers
  • NightEagle
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 45.0 Firefox 45.0
  • Eagle Type: XL
Re: Wheel axels
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 10:33:53 AM »
The first picture shows the end of a bolt, 6 or 8 inch, if I remember right.  I cut the head off it and it fit right into the gear tubing after cleaning out the tubing galling from the weld up.  The second picture shows the 'pinning' bolt, AN3 that was in place as a result of drilling a hole through the gear tubing AND the bolt to hold it in place.  This worked well for me... the bolt was a 5/8 high tension steel bolt.  I stayed away from a Grade 8 bolt assuming it may be a bit brittle for landing gear operations.  This may or may not be a good assumption.  This has worked well for me and easily replaced if 'something' changes the straightness of the 'axle' bolt.  Hope this helps.

HughS.
NightEagle

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal