How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Jury Strut Attach  (Read 9761 times)

Offline XL-C-100

Jury Strut Attach
« on: December 17, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »
Looking for some help on where to find information about how to build the jury strut attachment points on the wing? I know the plans say they are not needed but it sounds like others are putting them in for a little extra security. I have looked over all the pages about the wing and don't see anything?

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: Jury Strut Attach
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 02:12:34 PM »
Dwg 39 in my XL plan set.

Offline XL-C-100

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 05:26:09 PM »
bam, there it is! sorry for the, dare I say, stupid question.

Offline Jerry Carter

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
I just did this, and I had to decide exactly where to locate the blocks. The drawing indicates that the block is 40 1/2 inches from the number one rib. But the number one rib is 1 1/2 inches wide, as it is comprised of two ribs located 1 1/2 inches apart, covered with .8mm plywood which is 1 1/2 inches wide. Scott's drawing (scottiniowa here) shows the location of the holes in the block located as measured from the root of the wing, i.e., the inboard edge of the number one rib. The actual location of the jury strut attachment will be slightly inboard or outboard of this, determined by how you orient the fitting. The further outboard, the shorter the strut will be. Also, Leonard's drawing shows the tip of the fitting to protrude 1/2" below the wing skin. But I was worried that this does not give enough room to get the 3/16 bolt into the attach point, so I let it protrude more like 3/4 inch. I drilled the attachment hole in the tip of the fitting first, then drilled the holes in the block before gluing the blocks into the spar web. I had to glue a patch into the lightening hole that I had thoughtlessly drilled earlier.  If I had paid attention to Scott's drawing, I would not have done this.

Jerry

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 07:44:47 AM »
not to say don't follow the plans...but I don't think that's a critical measurement. A little either way to make things fitup shouldn't hurt anything that I can think of. On this new thing that I "designed" (haha) I put the jury struts somewhere about half way to the strut attach. Oughta work fine

Offline Jerry Carter

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 06:35:27 PM »
Well, you know how us RV builders are.  Everything has to be spelled out for us. I'm trying to adapt though.

Offline Rich Snyder

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 07:01:43 PM »
The most important thing about the jury strut attach point is, that after you carefully glue the block of wood into the spars, you should remember to attach the 1/2 in. aluminum angle with AN hardware BEFORE you put the leading edge covering on. Yeah;  go ahead and laugh! Do you know how hard it is to line up a bolt, that is stuck on the end of a piece of wood, with a hole that you can not see with both eyes at the same time, (No 3D vision)? HARD! Especially with your wife helping by holding a flashlight in the hole from the outside. Yeah; Go ahead and LAUGH.....but please tell me I'm not the only one ever to do this. Maybe we can start a new forum section called "Confessions". LMAO, (now that it's all fixed). Rich

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 07:58:30 PM »
I used a couple of lag screws epoxied into the wood block. Doesn't require access to the inside of the leading edge D-tube.

Eye bolts screw into the tapped 4130 brackets:

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Scott - aka Slug Musher
  • Eagle Type: Standard L/E
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 08:03:10 PM »
There are three young lads up in Appleton,WI. that forgot to put the block and alum. angle strut in before they sheeted the leading edge. They were able to glue the block in and add the alum. and bolt in in place but they had to cut open the leading edge enough to get there hands in to do the work. Then had to patch the leading edge.
Yep it's been left out before. Not fun I bet..  Hehe... now one around here is laughing.
Scott J.

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 05:23:18 AM »
all that kinda stuff is normal around here

Offline Rich Snyder

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 06:17:47 PM »
Thanks guys. I knew I was in good company. Rich

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal