How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Newbie question regarding fuel capacity and max take off weight  (Read 3577 times)

Offline ultra

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 52.0.2743.116 Chrome 52.0.2743.116
I live in Ontario, Canada and I just bought the plans for the LE XL. As I'm waiting for the plans to arrive by mail I was wondering, according to Canadian regulations this aircraft would be considered a basic ultralight.

As such it would have to adhere to the following definition:

-a maximum take-off weight not exceeding 544 kg (1,200 pounds), and
-a stall speed in the landing configuration of 39 knots (45 mph) indicated airspeed, or less, at the maximum take-off weight;

Since with a basic ultralight license my plane would be allowed to have a maximum take off weight of <1200 lbs, 2.5x the weight of the US 103 FAA regulation WITH a 150lb pilot I was wondering how much extra fuel I would be able to slap in some large wing fuel tanks with a 45HP four stroke two cylinder engine.

High octane automotive gasoline has a density of ~6lbs a gallon and the usual 5 gallon tanks being used on US ultralights would add 30lbs along with the pilot to my understanding.

Does anyone have a rough idea how much extra weight you could add to this XL with a 150lb pilot?

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: XL
Re: Newbie question regarding fuel capacity and max take off weight
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 12:19:38 PM »
gross weight is listed at 575 pounds
I would consider that the maximum.
Max pilot weight is listed at 275 pounds.
You at 150 leaves 125 pounds of extra payload.
Don't forget heavy clothing or a battery or anything else you may add.
There is weight of extra tanks and plumbing to track.
A general warning:
 just because you can doesn't mean you should
You may not be pleased with the performance
every extra pound you lift will add to drag and reduce your lift reserve.
But I can see your point.  There is one wing tank so I can see the other wing having one as well.
And a fuselage tank ( J-3 type) ala Sam Bucannan or a large header tank.
 You have added up to 10 gallons for a total of 15 gals of fuel.
That's a lot of flight time, and you havent maxed out the weight.
just my two cents not a recommendation
Tom XL-7

Offline ultra

• Browser:
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »
I realize the performance might be severely, I was thinking of using it for cross country trips and flights into nearby states.

If I max out the weight with a bare XL and a 45hp engine that gives me 20 gallons of fuel. Burning 2 gallons of fuel an hour would give me a 10 hour run time. 

If that gives me a cruise speed of 60mph that gives me a theoretical maximum range of 600 miles...or 965km.

That means I could in theory fly from Toronto to washington D.C. (570km) and back on 1.18 tanks of fuel or 23.6 gallons.

Not that I would want to fly to D.C. considering its track record with ultralight aircraft :emoji_u1f632:

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:52:37 PM »
!0 hours is a long time in a seat. Can't say I have done it or wanted to. I have made many long distance drives. Within the last 30 days I nearly drove to Spencer Field and back. 
Columbus OH to Hernando MS . I was glad for rest stops and fuel stops.

Not the way you are viewing things but one cross country legal eagle pilot bungees a 5 gal can or two to the rear of his seat. That way he will have fuel wherever he stop.

Good luck with your build.
How much flack do you catch flying over the border. Canadian Customs gave me the bussiness pretty much every crossing. Of course I was working and that's a no-no. 
Had a sponsor who wrote a letter explaining to Immigration that they could not hire my qualifications in all of Canada. (yeah- right) Bottom line I got a green card.
Tom XL-7

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal