How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Narrowing elevator/h stab to fit in trailer  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Flyguyeddy

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 0.8.2 Safari 0.8.2
Narrowing elevator/h stab to fit in trailer
« on: December 04, 2017, 03:07:30 PM »
Ive seen this done somewhere but cant find it now.   Anyone have any thoughts on this? 

Offline Kiwi55

• Cabin Eagle
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Cabin Eagle
Re: Narrowing elevator/h stab to fit in trailer
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 05:17:58 AM »
On the Cabin Eagle the h stab is 96" wide. I believe this is narrower than the Double Eagle and at 96" would fit in an 8' 6" wide trailer.

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 62.0.3202.94 Chrome 62.0.3202.94
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 06:36:28 AM »
In many states, you can go to a 102" trailer. Some hold the line at 96".
Of course, whether the tires and fenders are outside or inside the sidewalls makes a difference. Outside is an easier fabrication. Probably more common.
If you have the trailer then that changes the whole conversation.
I do agree with the 96" tail width and plan to build a 102" custom trailer. 13' sidewalls with a tapered nose. Wings go on walls over fender well, fuselage goes up the middle.
How much do you plan on cutting down? Inches are one thing but feet would require some head scratching.
Tom XL-7

Offline Flyguyeddy

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 0.8.2 Safari 0.8.2
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 06:38:54 AM »
If i could make it fit a 96” trailer without scraping the sides of the doorway id be thrilled

Offline Terry Lundby

• Phantomas
  • Donor 2024
  • Ribs are done.
  • Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 62.0.3202.94 Chrome 62.0.3202.94
  • Eagle Type: XL E-58
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 09:02:32 AM »
I compared the tail volumes of the XL's vertical and horizontal surfaces and they seem to be the optimum area according to Laszlo Pazmany's book, Light Aircraft Design. If I were to reduce the tail span by a couple of inches I’d add more to the chord to maintain the same area although the lower aspect ratio will be less efficient, (and not as purdy). Another route is to lengthen the fuselage and reduce the total tail volume but my brain doesn't have the HP for those calculations.
Below is a link to Joe Spencer's video that describes just what you are asking.  Be cautious reducing the area as he has done. I've never met Mr. Spencer but I think he is a high time pilot and is probably experienced flying less stable AC.  

Terry

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal