How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: LEXL Landing Gear  (Read 3183 times)

Offline 914pete

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
LEXL Landing Gear
« on: January 20, 2017, 12:13:22 PM »
I started working on the landing gear for my XL  (F-11).  According to page #23, the 3/4" gear legs should be 12 degrees forward which should align the axle with the leading edge of the wing.  I haven't built the wing yet.  Is it noted somewhere in the plans where the leading edge of the wing should be say forward of station #2?  Right now with the 3/4" legs attached, 17 1/2" center of mount to center of axle tube and fuse level the axle is 6" forward of station #2.  I remember reading on here another builder ended up the same way and decided to rework the legs so that the axle would be only 2" forward of station #2.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Pete

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.99 Chrome 54.0.2840.99
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
Re: LEXL Landing Gear
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 06:55:11 PM »
I started working on the landing gear for my XL  (F-11).  According to page #23, the 3/4" gear legs should be 12 degrees forward which should align the axle with the leading edge of the wing.  I haven't built the wing yet.  Is it noted somewhere in the plans where the leading edge of the wing should be say forward of station #2?  Right now with the 3/4" legs attached, 17 1/2" center of mount to center of axle tube and fuse level the axle is 6" forward of station #2.  I remember reading on here another builder ended up the same way and decided to rework the legs so that the axle would be only 2" forward of station #2.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Pete

Pete, page 23, has the word "or" 6" fwd. to center of axle..  This is based on center of station 2  (bottom) 
or
you could go back to page 6 and figure that station 2 (top) is 1/4" ahead of the bottom, then add in total length of the leading edge and do some math...to get an answer... but it would seem to me, that the  -- or 6" forward takes care of the math and calculations-- for you..

Not sure what the above quote means when you say  "center of mount" ?  are you talking attach point of the gear - same as- center of station 2  bottom-  if so, looks like you got the 6" to center of axle, seems like you got it!  I can't tell what your 17.5" is being measured from..  I might be reading this wrong...???
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
  • Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
Re: LEXL Landing Gear
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »
I started working on the landing gear for my XL  (F-11).  According to page #23, the 3/4" gear legs should be 12 degrees forward which should align the axle with the leading edge of the wing.  I haven't built the wing yet.  Is it noted somewhere in the plans where the leading edge of the wing should be say forward of station #2?  Right now with the 3/4" legs attached, 17 1/2" center of mount to center of axle tube and fuse level the axle is 6" forward of station #2.  I remember reading on here another builder ended up the same way and decided to rework the legs so that the axle would be only 2" forward of station #2.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Pete
Thanks for getting back to me Scott.  I assumed Leonard meant 6" forward of station 2, however, being a first time builder I'm not comfortable assuming anything.  Thanks for confirming.  F-11 is coming along. :emoji_u263a:

Pete, page 23, has the word "or" 6" fwd. to center of axle..  This is based on center of station 2  (bottom)
or
you could go back to page 6 and figure that station 2 (top) is 1/4" ahead of the bottom, then add in total length of the leading edge and do some math...to get an answer... but it would seem to me, that the  -- or 6" forward takes care of the math and calculations-- for you..

Not sure what the above quote means when you say  "center of mount" ?  are you talking attach point of the gear - same as- center of station 2  bottom-  if so, looks like you got the 6" to center of axle, seems like you got it!  I can't tell what your 17.5" is being measured from..  I might be reading this wrong...???

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal