How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Wing nose rib idea out for ideas, comments  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Dave Stroud

• Dave Stroud
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.99 Chrome 54.0.2840.99
  • Eagle Type: XL
Wing nose rib idea out for ideas, comments
« on: November 30, 2016, 03:00:33 PM »
While reorganizing my wing jig I started thinking about my nose ribs and saw that some had mentioned the possibility of the thin nose ply covering buckling etc. It might have been a bit of a pain also to get the epoxy varnish exactly on the thin ribs in the right place and then the epoxy just right. What I thought about was to make nose ribs out of 3/4" thick blue styrofoam like I did years ago with the Skypup. Those ribs could each be covered on the leading edge with a 3/4" strip of .8mm ply. Then, when it's time to finally install the leading edge ply, it would have a wider surface to adhere to on each foam/ply nose rib and also benefit where the ply needs to get joined or spliced in place. I don't think it would add any weight overall. Any thoughts on this ? Thanks.
Dave Stroud
Ottawa, Canada

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Wing nose rib idea out for ideas, comments
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 07:29:42 PM »
While reorganizing my wing jig I started thinking about my nose ribs and saw that some had mentioned the possibility of the thin nose ply covering buckling etc. It might have been a bit of a pain also to get the epoxy varnish exactly on the thin ribs in the right place and then the epoxy just right. What I thought about was to make nose ribs out of 3/4" thick blue styrofoam like I did years ago with the Skypup. Those ribs could each be covered on the leading edge with a 3/4" strip of .8mm ply. Then, when it's time to finally install the leading edge ply, it would have a wider surface to adhere to on each foam/ply nose rib and also benefit where the ply needs to get joined or spliced in place. I don't think it would add any weight overall. Any thoughts on this ? Thanks.

Read the files in this section of the Forum Yahoo Download area: http://www.eaglersnest.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;cat=23

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal