How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Ordering Tubing  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Rich Snyder

Ordering Tubing
« on: December 22, 2013, 07:47:03 PM »
Will I have everything I need if I use the Material List supplied with my plans? 
Is the tail section still all aluminum? I could swear I read something about using different tubing,(4130), due to flutter.
I will be using the streamlined Carlson struts.
Should I buy full length tubing for the convenience of not splicing? (This is my first welding rodeo).
Finally; Should I insist on American or German tubing? It sounds like everyone is thumbs down on Chinese tubing. THANKS! Rich, XL C-24.

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: Ordering Tubing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »
Will I have everything I need if I use the Material List supplied with my plans?

Probably not, just make sure you buy all the long lengths you need in your first order. If you are purchasing wood from the same place, get the spar caps sent in the same order. You will need more stuff later but shipping via ground UPS isn't too bad for the shorter stock.

Is the tail section still all aluminum? I could swear I read something about using different tubing,(4130), due to flutter.

Tail group is still aluminum per the plans but it is a good idea to use 4130 for the leading edge of the vertical stab.

scroll down this link for more info about modified tail group

I will be using the streamlined Carlson struts.

Good choice, plan on using jury struts as well, round tubing works fine for them.

Should I buy full length tubing for the convenience of not splicing? (This is my first welding rodeo).

Splicing is ok, just depends on your personal preference.

Finally; Should I insist on American or German tubing? It sounds like everyone is thumbs down on Chinese tubing. THANKS! Rich, XL C-24.

Yes.

Enjoy!

Offline Rich Snyder

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »
Thanks Sam, It will just be tubing; no wood. My wings are recently finished. WAHOO! I had already decided on at least replacing the lowest most part of the vertical stab with the 1/2 in. aluminum tube because I want to shrink my cloth nice and snug to avoid flagging of the material. No Chinese tubing. Got it.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
Thanks Sam, It will just be tubing; no wood. My wings are recently finished. WAHOO! I had already decided on at least replacing the lowest most part of the vertical stab with the 1/2 in. aluminum tube because I want to shrink my cloth nice and snug to avoid flagging of the material. No Chinese tubing. Got it.
Even though you are beefing up the vertical stab a little, still be very careful when shrinking the fabric. A full 300+F shrink can cause all sorts of problems such as the trailing edge of the vertical stab deforming to the point where the rudder hinges won't fit. The aluminum tail is LIGHT!

I found a 200-250F shrink works fine if you rib stitch the vertical stab, that will prevent any buffeting problems and won't deform the tail group. Spencer rib stitched the elevator but I haven't seen any issues with the elevator on XL-58.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal