How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Ailerons  (Read 4843 times)

Offline rockiedog2

Ailerons
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:22:45 AM »
Dunno about the rest of you guys that are flying but I've always thought the ailerons on 143 were a little heavy. It seems that an easy fix for that would be to just move the aileron spar back a little and also the hinge block. That would give the wind  less leverage than it has now with the hinge line so far forward. I got the hinge line way forward on this new thing and I suspect that it will have heavy ailerons we will see. I did that before I had figured out much about ailerons. I still don't know much but do know a little more than I did then.
 If I was building an Eagle I would try moving the hinge back about an inch maybe more. Not that we have any concerns about flutter in our Eagles but in theory at least that would reduce any possibility of aileron flutter due more weight forward of the hinge line.
I've given it some thought and can't think of any reason not to try that. But maybe I missed something. What about it Boss tell us what you think
Spencer

Offline riorex2002

Re: Ailerons
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:10:02 AM »
another change that might help when changing the pivot point is to modify the front from round to pointed like Cesna uses, bringing it down into the airstream and sending air over the top.but don't have any play in the system as you can still get flutter induced even at our low speeds.While talking about ailerons,i don't see any mention of wash out in my plans.On one plane they use a modified aileron (cant remember which one now) to give some wash out.Is any wash out used on the L/E?
Rio vista

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
you're talking about washout in the wings right?
 I flew mine with 2 degrees washout for maybe a hundred hours or so then took it out to flat. can't tell any diff in the roll control at stall. Mine are still flat and that's the way I will leave them. should be less drag and lower stall speed when flat.

Offline riorex2002

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:51:48 PM »
Thanks Joe what what I wanted to know
Rex
Rio vista

Offline Leonard

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 05:33:07 PM »
Hi Joe,
 Try it should be interesting.  Ailerons should be slightly tail heave usually with the paint.   Leonard

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 06:38:22 PM »
Hey Boss
I wud try it but with this torque tube setup that's a major redo. Think will try it like it is and see what I got first...I've found I can adapt to annoying characteristics if the fix is very high workload. But some of the guys building an Eagle oughta try it I think it will improve the aileron feel.
Boss I like that pic of you in your avatar...the one of you in the CE. Yeah I took that pic when I came down to check it out. And the big Eagle right above it is just the BEST
Thanks Boss
Spencer

Offline High Noon

• Flying Cabin Eagle
  • Eagle Type: Cabin Eagle
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:45:09 AM »
Been wanting to ask about the same thing professor,

I was thinking maybe add spades?.?. power steering you know?

now my ailerons are aluminum, and are an inch bigger than plans, matching the airfoil, but have 1" Flat extending behind the wing.
 I think about 8% More surface area on the ailerons. I did this for extra leverage at slow speeds, knowing I was going to have a heavier plane.... 
I know I cant get enough stick movement in cabin to get full deflection, but I get enough, which is prolly compounding the torque needed. 
Easy to move at landing speeds, But it does take some muscle when flying cruise speeds.

I could rivet some spades on there fairly easy....... Easier than changing ailerons.

High Noon
SHANE

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 10:56:36 AM »
Hey High Noon
Spades are a bandaid. More weight and drag. But if that's what I wanted to do that's what I would do.
Do I remember right something happened to your motor a while back? What was that?

Offline High Noon

• Flying Cabin Eagle
  • Eagle Type: Cabin Eagle
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 04:37:31 AM »
Turned out to be a bad voltage regulator on the alternator.
Thought it was a timing issue, but when My timing light smelled of fried wires, I looked inside the cabin.
Now the timing light is a Christmas tree ornament.

turns out it Was putting 24V thru my ignition. Nice hot spark till the points got charred.
Acted like it was outa timing.... Which it was, but not because of rotor position.
That was october, and It's been too cold to go up and see what all else got fried due to over voltage.
points, and condenser are cheap. But I probably should replace the coil too.
Wishing for magnetos.................

High Noon
Shane

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal