How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Aluminum wing tank  (Read 4799 times)

Offline XL-C-100

• Nate
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Aluminum wing tank
« on: August 11, 2015, 06:54:35 PM »
Thought I would post some pictures of my aluminum wing tank progress. 6130 t6 .050 for the bottom and two sides (one piece) and .032 for the top, other two sides and the baffle. Just have to add filler and outlet, then seal and rivet. One 2 x 4 sheet of each thickness was more than enough material. 
Hope to be covering wings soon!

Offline XL-C-100

• Nate
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
Re: Aluminum wing tank
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 07:00:54 PM »
Correction 6061 t6.

Offline Bob Wood

• XL completed 2015
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 41.0 Firefox 41.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 08:58:40 AM »
Very interesting, so no welding, seal & Rivet... I suppose weld the fittings and neck only? Or rivit and seal there also??

What will it weigh?

I have this on my project list.  Can you give me more detail on filler and sealing it??

Thanks Looks great,
Bob

Offline XL-C-100

• Nate
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 04:06:22 AM »
I'm No welding required for the tank I built. I cut a large hole on the bottom where the gas line exits and made a sump by hammering a piece of aluminum into a routed out piece of wood. Then I riveted that dish piece with a brass fitting onto the bottom of the tank. For the filler I used PVC parts found at the hardware store, these were also riveted to the tank with sealant. 

I got the sealant from aircraft spruce it was 3m product AC236 B-2, worked very well. I used cheapie syringes to measure out the 10-1 ratio. Mix, apply to both sides of the seam, dip your rivet and pop it together. Messy but it works.

I did not weigh the tank so I am not sure how it compares to other methods.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal