How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Cross control fix  (Read 3567 times)

Offline XL-C-100

• Nate
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Cross control fix
« on: May 13, 2017, 04:53:01 AM »
I think I have a handle on how to fix my problem but I would like to know what some of you think. I started flying my xl last fall and I have noticed that I need to apply left stick and right rudder to get the thing to fly straight. 
Would the correct fix be to lower the left wing leading edge or raise the right depending on which one I find to be misaligned? I have a feeling one or the other is slightly off and causing the left wing to create more lift. Has anyone had this problem and am I on the right track?

Offline Dave Stroud

• Dave Stroud
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 58.0.3029.110 Chrome 58.0.3029.110
  • Eagle Type: XL
Re: Cross control fix
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 04:29:28 PM »
Just exploring here but you don't say how severe the problem is.  If only a minor thing, could you tweak the relationship of one aileron to the other by adjusting the control cables to favour a bit of up aileron on the left while having neutral on the right or down on the right with neutral on the left ?  I'd check to see what is out of alignment first though.  Is your fuel tank centered ?  Is your horizontal stab horizontal ? What handle do you think you have on the cure ?
Dave Stroud
Ottawa, Canada

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 53.0 Firefox 53.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:24:37 PM »
You are slightly out of rig.

If you have a smart phone, get one of the many clinometer apps and with your machine level, go over it  with a fine tooth comb utilizing an appropriate straight edge.

You are definitely on the right track.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Dave Stroud

• Dave Stroud
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 01:34:59 PM »
One more idea....is the washout the same on both wings ?  Please let us know what you find.
Dave Stroud
Ottawa, Canada

Offline XL-C-100

• Nate
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 51.0.2704.79 Chrome 51.0.2704.79
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 10:16:01 AM »
Thanks for all the responses. To answer Dave's question I have adjusted the ailerons some but it seems bad enough that I should correct the underlying problem. I think I will order some aluminum bar so I can adjust my strut lengths.

I will post results when I get that far. I am always faced with the dilemma of making improvements or going flying and lately I have been choosing flying!

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 53.0 Firefox 53.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »
Adjusting the ailerons is not going to take any left or right pressure off the stick.  What it will do for you is put the stick where you want it, but you will have to hold it there...

If you had flaps you could put some "twist" in them and it would perhaps be a substitute for proper rigging.

Also if you are not holding that much pressure you could put a tab on one aileron and rudder until you get around to re-rigging it.

Dollars to donuts, you have more twist in one wing...  If that's the case, redoing one rear lift strut length may do it for you.

The farther out on the wing the more leverage, so it does not take much to make a noticeable difference.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline rfeenstra

• 2017 Donor
  • CabinBuilder
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: DE w/Cabin Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 07:26:21 PM »
On my DE I always had to hold a bit of right aileron.  It was because my lard butt sits in the left seat (no problem when I had a passenger).  i got sick of it since i normally fly alone so i removed a tiny bit of washout by shortening the rear lift strut on the left wing by about 1/8". That's all it took.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal