How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Stabilizer/Elevator connectors  (Read 4298 times)

Offline 914pete

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 54.0 Firefox 54.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
Stabilizer/Elevator connectors
« on: August 17, 2017, 06:52:49 AM »
I'm working on the horizontal stabilizer and the elevator.  I'm having trouble understanding how the horizontal stab is attached to the fuselage.  I guess I'm not visualizing the bushing arrangements on page 19.  Does anyone have a picture of the horizontal stab connected to the fuse?

Also, is the vertical fin attached to the fuse with only two #10 AN bolts, one in the front and one through the tail post?  I've seen pics of the front attach point being a tube welded to the fuse.  The plans show two tabs welded to the fuse.  I'm inclined to use a tube rather then tabs.  Is there an advantage to using two tabs?

I really appreciate the input, thanks!  Pete

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.90 Chrome 60.0.3112.90
  • Eagle Type: XL
Re: Stabilizer/Elevator connectors
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »
Pete, I'll try my best
Anyone with a photo please send it. Pictures can really clarify things. Like the prop balancing thread. I thought they were balancing props.
The picture revealed they were balancing prop engine combination.
My drawings are older and I have no tabs shown on the drawing, just bushings, and tubes.  Here goes.
 horizontal- page 19 shows two 4" long tubes with 3/8 bushings welded perpendicular in the center on the side of the tubes. One is 7/8, one is 3/4.
The long tubes act as sockets for the horizontal tubing coming in from both sides. the bushing is the fuselage attachment.
pg 25 will show two 3/8 bushings welded vertically through the top longeron tube.  a bolt goes through each and through the bushing on the 4" tubes.
You may consider staying a little long on the bushings. Can quickly be filed, ground or cut down changing the incidence and relying on something other than a stack of washers'.
 Vertical- page 25 has a 7/8 top of the tail post to act as one socket and a 5/8 tube welded to the top of the longeron for the front socket.
hope that helps
Tom XL-7

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 55.0 Firefox 55.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:52:46 PM »
Hit the play button.

Set gear icon in bottom right to 1080p.  

Hit the quad brackets icon to go full screen.

Skip ahead to 1 minute.

Use pause button copiously...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.101 Chrome 60.0.3112.101
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 04:16:13 AM »
I saw the tabs at the front fin. Like it more than the tube. Likely stronger.
if formed to tube contour would provide a lot of weld area spread over increased length and no water trap. thanks, Dan and Les
tom XL-7

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 06:18:58 AM »
Thanks Fellas!  Makes sense now.  Funny, I was thinking about the water trap in the tail post because I welded a plate at the bottom for my tail wheel mount but didn't consider it for the front tube.  I think the tabs will be stronger as well.  I will stick to the plans and use tabs.  Great vid Dan, thanks!  Very helpful.

The plans mention 3/16" holes for the horizontal stab attach points and brace wire tubes which equates to a #10 dia. screw.  I'm not seeing a reference to the vertical fin attach points and am assuming its #10 screws again.  The brace wire tubes are 3/16" or a  #10 as well.  Have you all found this dia. screw sufficient?  Pete

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 08:31:36 AM »
Thanks Fellas!  Makes sense now.  Funny, I was thinking about the water trap in the tail post because I welded a plate at the bottom for my tail wheel mount but didn't consider it for the front tube.  I think the tabs will be stronger as well.  I will stick to the plans and use tabs.  Great vid Dan, thanks!  Very helpful.

The plans mention 3/16" holes for the horizontal stab attach points and brace wire tubes which equates to a #10 dia. screw.  I'm not seeing a reference to the vertical fin attach points and am assuming its #10 screws again.  The brace wire tubes are 3/16" or a  #10 as well.  Have you all found this dia. screw sufficient?  Pete
I tend to over build everything.  This is the first time building something where I have to be concerned about weight.

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 55.0 Firefox 55.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 09:30:21 AM »
  Great vid Dan, thanks!  Very helpful.

Pete
Pete,
It is thanks to Les Homan for sharing his many videos with us.

Here is a link to his YT channel...

https://www.youtube.com/user/homanles/videos

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal