How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Hoerner wing tips  (Read 3999 times)

Offline Mrbill

• Mr. Bill
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 0.8.2 Safari 0.8.2
  • Eagle Type: XL - E-47
Hoerner wing tips
« on: September 05, 2017, 02:31:36 PM »
I was thinking about adding/building a hoerner wing tip.  Any thoughts about making the straight tip into a hoerner?  Would it increase performance any?

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 55.0 Firefox 55.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
Re: Hoerner wing tips
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 04:09:28 PM »
I was thinking about adding/building a hoerner wing tip.  Any thoughts about making the straight tip into a hoerner?  Would it increase performance any?

I am not encouraging any modifications, but will attach the original Hoerner study and Steve Wittman wing tip article.   I would never extend the wing beyond what Leonard said could be done to the L.E. which was one bay (15") and that was to be added to the inboard end of the wing.  This moves the lift strut attach outboard to counteract the extra leverage a longer span would put on the attach point.  I don't think he has ever said anything about extending the XL.

Hoerner claims a 1 foot per second increase in climb and a 1 or 2 percent increase in range.  (60 ft/min is not insignificant...)

Wittman always said "Hoerner never built anything".  I take that to mean his theory was never verified.

Wittman claimed a 25 percent decrease in sink  (1200 ft/min before his tips and 900 ft/min after) with no decrease in top speed and verified it himself.

Wittman's plane has a 48" chord.

Read it for yourself...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.6 Safari 6.1.6
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 07:10:54 PM »
OK-   I got to step in a just a bit,

When did Wittman design a plane that was as slow as the EAGLE,  thus when did a wing tip get tested on something like this (again as slow)  One can read thoughts and theories all day, but unless your “somewhat” comparing apples to apples, it really doesn’t matter what your comparing too.

Kinda like comparing a RV-8 to a X-cub… or the wings for that matter, simply not the same.

Are we (or this thread) asking, about a slow flying wing tip design and what it can do for a STOL type plane, vs a wittman tip on a relative fast flying plane?  

I don’t mean to kick the can over, but taking an idea and then comparing it to two totally different plans, can’t really be used as a answer.  Can it?  I am just asking.  I don’t mind being wrong, as long as I can be shown why and what the right way is.

ok, back to your tuned in radio...
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:00:22 PM »
The information I sent in is about making a wing more efficient no matter how fast or slow it flies. 

Better lift to drag ratio is more efficient. 

Less induced drag is more efficient.  

Wittman did his glide tests to prove better l/d ratio @ 73 mph anyway which is in our wheelhouse.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline okdonn

• Don in Oklahoma - DE Plans B-40, CE-02
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: CE
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 09:25:53 PM »
Clearly, someone needs to build sets of wings both ways and determine how they work empirically, like Wittman did.
Don in Okla.  DE Plans B-40 (small), CE plans CE-02 (all weather),  Tailwind project #746 (medium),  C182A (large)
One size does NOT fit all!

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 05:19:34 AM »
I did build and install a set of Hoerner tips on LEU Treehugger.  Made them from a core of sandwiched 2" pink builders foam sheet, hot wired to shape, and covered with one layer of FG cloth.  The finish was rough, but we just wanted to see if they would help the climb rate.  We just put them on the ends of the wings.  They were supposed to have a similar effect as having more wingspan, thus more lift, as I recall.  Based on what Dan said above, maybe not a good idea.

Unfortunately, we did not get too many flights with the tips.  One note I found said it lifted off at the 2nd set of tires on the runway (which was apparently an improvement), and had a good climb.  This was in early March 2010, and Treehugger met its demise in early May.  No other notes related to tips, other than to observe that Treehugger failed to climb over the trees at the far side of the runway, but other variables such as wind, temperature etc. probably were significant influences.

I am left with the impression that the tips did not hurt the climb, and maybe helped some.

I've attached some pics to show what they looked like.

On the subject of wing tips, I believe that the flat plates, per plans, that cap the tips may have more drag than a smaller plate that matches the airfoil on the top, but only extends down below the wing profile.  We made that mod on DE Stubby, and I do think that improved top speed, and may have helped the climb, too, and they do look better.  With these airplanes, the result from changes are usually small, and its hard to quantify with all the other variables happening.

Yeah, somebody should make some and do some more thorough testing.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.90 Chrome 60.0.3112.90
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 05:40:33 AM »
Clearly, someone needs to build sets of wings both ways and determine how they work empirically, like Wittman did.

Yes, that would be my thoughts as well.  If nothing else, the designs applied to  L/D analytical software Which of course also takes a great amount of time.

cheers!
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal