How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: XL build using 1200cc 40hp full VW motor  (Read 5252 times)

Offline macca

XL build using 1200cc 40hp full VW motor
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »
Hello all Macca (Paul) this end in Australia thank you for allowing me to join 
Am very interested  in the XL eagle as im verticaly challenged and horizontally concentric (short and fat) so need the extra lift and room to move ,
I have several 1200 cc vw 40hp motors and am asking the question can i use one of these full motors in the XL eagle without compromising CofG calculations, engine  mounts,landing gear etc   the extra weight of the motor will not effect the MTOW that I am led to believe is 300Kilograms here in oz as im 252lbs wringing wet XL 250lbs +- a couplelbs leaves approx 160lbs free
would still build to maintain lowest weight but max strength. I dont know if i would be breaking any rules or regulations doing this so any answer would be much appreciated ,
And to all at Christmas Be safe and all the best and thank you Macca
Toofubartooften

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: XL build using 1200cc 40hp full VW motor
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 08:00:51 AM »
Welcome, Paul

Elsewhere on this site you will find a posting about the "Texas Super Eagle", use the Search function on the Tool bar to find it... To handle the CG issues those boyz made the empennage of 4130 steel and then then set the battery aft to make the CG come out just right... The photos show the battery location... There are sketches of Stainless motor mount bolts and a nice oil filter here:  Elsewhere on the Forum is Leonard's conversion for the DE 1835... You will like the XL ! ! ! 

Steve

Offline Leonard

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »
balanceexperiment

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 05:47:13 PM »
Boss there you are I've been wondering where you were...

Spencer

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal