How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Lighter Weight XL  (Read 3370 times)

Offline LSaupe

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 63.0.3239.132 Chrome 63.0.3239.132
  • Eagle Type: XL
Lighter Weight XL
« on: May 03, 2018, 07:46:44 AM »
Looking at the specs, it looks like the XL is rather tight weight with respect to the 254 lb limit.  I am interested in the XL, primarily for the extra cabin size and longer fuselage (do not need it for load carrying however).

For the dry weight listed on the betterhalfVW website, anyone know how conservative those numbers are (if at all) and the actual configurations (paint, engine etc)?

Looking to see if the following options are realistic and/or even possible:

Do you buy back some weight if you use Oratex vice the standard fabric and paint?

Is there such a thing as a clip wing version (or a maybe a standard LE wing on the XL)?   The reduced wing span my return a weight advantage (my weight is 165 lbs so I really don't need all that surface area).

Anyone know of going to the aluminum cylinders will result in a weight advantage?  Full or half case make a difference?

Larry

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 66.0.3359.126 Chrome 66.0.3359.126
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Re: Lighter Weight XL
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 04:29:05 PM »
I have done some of what you are thinking, XL fuselage and LE wing. By my estimates 10 lbs are saved, less wood, fabric and shorter struts.
The covering Leonard suggests is hard to beat in weight and cost. Build light , count grams and making weight is no problem. Plus the Verner 3VW I am using without starter is around 70lbs dry
Frank

Offline LSaupe

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 63.0.3239.132 Chrome 63.0.3239.132
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 11:29:08 PM »
Thanks for the Feedback Frank.  Very impressed with your build and excellent craftsmanship.  Love that Verner.  Cant wait to hear your flight review.

Offline JohnB

• Beta testers
  • JohnB
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 59.0 Firefox 59.0
  • Eagle Type: xl
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 05:18:07 PM »
ONE of the ways to lighten up the XL a bit is hidden in plain sight.  If you notice, the plans say the fuselage width is 24" MAX.
It doesn't mean you  HAVE to build it that wide.  the Legal Eagle is 19 1/2" and I assure you we've had many 300# guys sitting in the bare fuselage I brought to Osh for display one yr.   Sit in several single seaters, measure your butt and build it only as wide as you are comfortable with.
ALL the crosstubes are shorter now and the diagionals are even a tiny bit shorter, it adds up.   John B  (it also LOOKS better, my opinion)

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal