How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Where to Weld  (Read 4343 times)

Offline Rich Snyder

Where to Weld
« on: January 01, 2014, 06:21:30 PM »
In preparation for welding my XL fuselage, I got my oxyacetylene tanks from Airgas in New Hampshire. I wanted to try them out, so the first thing I did was bend a couple of nails into loops and welded one to each side of my tank cart. These were for attaching a small chain that will keep the tanks from falling off of the cart. All went well until my wife and I were ready to hit the hay that night. The Carbon Monoxide monitor started to alarm at 80 ppm of CO. I had no idea that CO is part of the chain of events in burning oxyacetylene. It is winter here now and very cold in my barn and tractor shed. I don't want my welds to cool off too fast and get brittle. Here's my question. Do you guys weld inside?  How closed in are the areas that you all weld in? I shut my tanks off at the tank valve after use in my heated cellar shop for safety. Do I have to fashion some sort of ventilated welding booth? Thanks, Rich.

Offline Dan_

Re: Where to Weld
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 06:54:28 AM »
Here is some reading on it...

Sounds like you may have to shut the Co monitor off to weld in the cellar and ventilate after... 

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Rich Snyder

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 03:59:32 PM »
Thanks for the interest Dan. I read the attached CO forum and found it interesting. CO is an insidious killer. There is good reason to be cautious with it. We all want to get to the flying stage of the Legal Eagle build. Rich.

Offline flydog

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »
I've heard carbon monoxide is a by product of incomplete combustion.
ALL combustion, not just automobiles and funaces.

Offline Justin

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 08:40:26 PM »
I've never seen torch welded steel cool off too quickly with air, but I've never welded above the Mason Dixon line either. I would recommend tacking only and moving it to another location (garage, shop, greenhouse, hanger, etc) for the final weld. That would minimize your exposure.

Offline docmatt

• doc matt
  • 2015 Donor
  • DE E-04 under construction
  • Eagle Type: DE
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 07:29:57 PM »
It's 20 deg F in my shop today.  My propane tank for the shop furnace is almost empty and my truck is out of order.  It is supposed to be -25 outside next week.  I won't be welding or gluing for a while.
doc matt
DE E-04 under construction
Mineral Point, WI

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal