How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Wing Gap Closure  (Read 5741 times)

Offline Hugh Sistrunk

• Black Hut Ops
  • Beta testers
  • NightEagle
  • Eagle Type: XL
Wing Gap Closure
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:07:24 AM »
Been discussing the need to seal up the gap between the two wings at the root mounting.  I understand the top of the wing gap needs to be sealed.  Any thoughts out there about leaving the bottom of the wing gap open - Is it necessary to close the bottom gap up?

Offline bill utt

• Beta testers
  • flown 7-5-14
  • Eagle Type: Modified DE
Re: Wing Gap Closure
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:09:07 PM »
Mine being a cabin style, is not enclosed. I would imagine if it remains a parasol then it should be.
Bill
"Any time spent off this planet, is time well invested"

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »
mine isn't closed but all the others that i have seen are. 
mine has a wide w/s at the top which i think blocks most airflow in there. if i was using the original narrow top w/s i definitely think it should be closed up. Leonard's is. i had the root of the wings covered and then one day stupidly cut that off for some forgotten reason. that obviously streamlined that gap some and blocked flow into the wings. i oughta recover that but don't look to have the wings off again for some time

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:00:31 PM »
I did the first flight on #33 with the plans windscreen cover and no center cover on the wing gap... All was Ok until I brought the power back to idle on approach to landing at about 100' AGL... The air rushing up from the open fus bottom thru the cab felt like a down ride on an open frame freight elevator - unpleasant... Subsequent flights were with a cover that wrapped from the front spar forward over the wing back to the trailing edge and forward to an end at the rear spar on the bottom of the wing... An opening on the bottom of the wing between the spars has been Ok... My root rib ends are covered... I never bring the power back to idle now until I can see individual blades of grass - in-fact with the 54x20 prop the power is never below 2500 RPM until I'm rotated into 3 point and committed to land... Remember, I'm heavy and  LE #33 has never flown below 510 LBS Gross - weight makes a huge difference...

Offline Bob S.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 02:10:05 PM »
LE#64H is also got the center covered about like Steve's.. I have a clear plexi panel on top between the spars and can see my fuel level in my tank easily... I never have really flown without it.... I DID forget the plexi at Reklaw (left it at the hangar) this last time and covered it with some tape that blew-out partially, but I didn't notice...

Bob
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline liteflyt

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »
Maintain  the top surface and lower leading edge  seal.
As long as the inner wing ends are sealed, the loss of streamlining under the center section
will go unnoticed....
Rodger

Offline Hugh Sistrunk

• Black Hut Ops
  • Beta testers
  • NightEagle
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »
Ok, Thanks for all the input - will definitely help with the final setup.

Hugh

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal