How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Engine Teardown  (Read 607 times)

Offline Sweet B

• 2019 Donor
  • What's the worst that can happen?
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 121.0.0.0 Chrome 121.0.0.0
  • Eagle Type: LE-XL
Engine Teardown
« on: March 04, 2024, 12:26:31 PM »
Welp, my Casler 1/2 VW engine has very low time, probably less that 15hrs but I seem to have this metallic issue I cannot by just changing the oil and screen. Is it possible debris from the build? Is something out of wack inside? Did anything make it pass my screen and onto the bearings? I've flushed it out a couple of times, but I always seem to have metal in the oil. Dunno, but my inner voice is starting to speak louder, and louder to crack it open and take a look, inspect the bearing journals and clean out the oil pathways.

My question to all the engine guys is what are the gotchas of cracking and what parts, special tooling, seals, etc., do you think I would need to get it back together?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 123.0 Firefox 123.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
Re: Engine Teardown
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 02:12:18 PM »
I'd see if Scott Casler is willing to stand behind his engine.  That's a LOT of metal.  Send him that picture.  Maybe he missed cleaning out the oil galleries...

You're hereby grounded.  Yeah that's  gotta be machine work cuttings.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Sweet B

• 2019 Donor
  • What's the worst that can happen?
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 0.8.2 Safari 0.8.2
  • Eagle Type: LE-XL
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 03:47:10 PM »
Talked to Scott and he said they t could be from the build but the engine has a not in warranty any longer. I was reluctant to mention   Scott because in the initial post but though it may shed some light on any parts I may need. I don’t want this posting to go down that path just need a heads up on what I may be facing, it’s not rocket science, right?

Online Kamcoman77

• Donor 2024
  • Building LE-XL H-51
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 122.0.0.0 Chrome 122.0.0.0
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 08:03:48 PM »
That is a tremendous amount of trash!  No way I would fly behind that engine without a teardown and cleanout.  Some stuff you will need.  Good inch-pounds & foot-pounds torque wrenches.  A few gaskets & O-rings.  Good case sealer (YamaBond4).  Aluminum oil galley plugs (preferably threaded type).  Gun barrel cleaning brush kit.  Drills & taps for new oil galley plugs. High pressure air with small nozzle.  Dawn dishwashing soap.  Brake parts cleaner.  If you disconnect the pistons from the rods without removing them from cylinders you won't need a ring compressor.  You might need some bearings, but you won't know until disassembly.  This is not everything, but it's a start.  There are some good videos on YouTube by vwdarrin that might be helpful if you are not a VW expert.  Here is a photo of some of the oil passages you will need to clean.  The most difficult will probably be the lifter feeds.  Here is a good video showing some mods to the oiling system.  The mod at the 5-minute mark is not needed on a 1/2 VW.

Click on the Watch on YouTube to see it.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Donor 2024
  • Linux (Ubuntu) Linux (Ubuntu)
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 85.0 Firefox 85.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL #H-58
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 04:42:27 AM »
I don't know what it is, but it doesn't look like the typical swarf that you see when an engine is "making metal." At any rate, a tear down is in order.
It's not rocket science, a V dub is simple. Get an overhaul manual. Watch a few videos. Ask if you have any doubts.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal