How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Priming fuselage with a brush  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Peteohms

Priming fuselage with a brush
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:14:24 AM »
Anybody prime their fuselage with a brush.  Spray paint can't be used in hangar.

Pete
Leander, Tx
Pete
Kitfox III
Flying

Offline Hugh Sistrunk

• Black Hut Ops
  • Beta testers
  • NightEagle
  • Eagle Type: XL
Re: Priming fuselage with a brush
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 08:27:26 AM »
Hey Pete,
I used a 4 inch foam brush for the first cross coat, and a 4 inch foam (1") roller for the next.  The roller gives the impression of 'fish eye' on the initial roll of the primmer.... but as I would do a section, I would go back over the section before it with the roller again and the results were good.  I also found out I had to use moderate to slow speed with the roller, seems fast rolling like on a wall seemed to make the paint a bit rougher....  This may have flowed out during drying but did not wait to check that.  Ready for base coats when the weather will allow.  Will make a decision about sanding the primmer coat at that time  - I am assuming we are talking Latex here?

NightEagle
CoonNeck, Texas

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:29:54 AM »
Anybody prime their fuselage with a brush.  Spray paint can't be used in hangar.

Pete
Leander, Tx
Pete asked about priming the fuse.

This depends on your expectations. Using a brush probably won't result in a show finish but it may very well be totally acceptable for your mission.

Some primers dry quickly, too quickly to have time to flow out smoothly. I've found several finish paints to flow out slow enough that a good brush finish is possible. But a primer may not flow as well. However, you can sand the primer smooth...so to answer your question:

Yes, a good brush (I would use foam) can result in an acceptable primer surface if sanded.

Offline Hugh Sistrunk

• Black Hut Ops
  • Beta testers
  • NightEagle
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 08:55:16 AM »
Oh, one other thing - may seem obvious, but someone took the time to point out to me - not all foam brushes are the same.  My 83 yr old friend building a Jenny 'instructed' me to get the foam brush with the wooden handles and pay attention to the foam it self.. some brushes have 'larger' cell structure than others in the foam - get the smaller cell structured foam brush (smoother edge)... The brush does not last long before the inside mounting part starts sticking out of the foam.  You will want a dozen or so if you end up doing the whole plane.  I think I ran through 3 or 4 just on the fuselage first cross coat. ..hope this makes sense.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal