How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: A rambling wing building discussion  (Read 14399 times)

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: A rambling wing building discussion
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »
Let's make sure we don't get confused with the term "flat".

As used in the plans, "flat" means building in 2* of washout.

As used by Joe and I, "flat" means zero washout.

Offline Sparrow

• Sparrow
  • 2015 Donor
  • Building
  • Eagle Type: LE XL # D-21
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 12:36:24 PM »
Hi Guys,
You have convinced me to just build the wing so it is fully at the fuselage built in 2* incidence angle the full length because your experiences tell me it is of no concern due to the envelope this vehicle operates in.  That makes life simple.
So, Flat table to build on and when I rig my craft I will set up for a zero bubble right to left and I will tip the nose down until the root of the attached wing is zero bubble and I will rig the lift struts to have zero bubble at the wing tip and anywhere in between.
Any comments?  John
John Leake
1409 Briarwood Dr.
Blacksburg, VA, USA
11leake11@gmail.com
Plans arrived Dec. 2013
LE XL-D-21

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 02:16:46 PM »
Hi Guys,
You have convinced me to just build the wing so it is fully at the fuselage built in 2* incidence angle the full length because your experiences tell me it is of no concern due to the envelope this vehicle operates in.  That makes life simple.
So, Flat table to build on and when I rig my craft I will set up for a zero bubble right to left and I will tip the nose down until the root of the attached wing is zero bubble and I will rig the lift struts to have zero bubble at the wing tip and anywhere in between.
Any comments?  John
That is the way it is done.  :)

Offline Sparrow

• Sparrow
  • 2015 Donor
  • Building
  • Eagle Type: LE XL # D-21
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 07:03:45 PM »
Hi Guys,

I was honestly working under the impression that the LE-XL root had a 2* incidence and the wing tip had 0* incidence angle.  I suspect I became convinced of this because most craft I have ever flown had washout built into the wing for aileron control at main wing stall.

Once you all pointed out that the LE mushed and reminded me of the very low speeds we are dealing with, well it all makes sense to do it this way.  What added to the confusion happened to be postings I have read that informed the group of the propensity for dimpling when twisting the wing and to set the dihedral first and then pull the trailing edge up with the rear lift strut.  That indicated to me that the wing was twisted into the washout angle.
I will have to take a better look at what Leonard has to say again but regardless, based on what has transpired, and thank you Sam, I will build with zero degrees all the way down the wing when the fuse attach points are also at zero degrees.

A side note, if washout is required and you do not want to induce strain due to twisting a wing from a neutral zero to some angle above or below root position (stressing the wing); I do recommend the angular difference required be built into the wing when it is manufactured to keep the stresses neutral at rigging time. 

Again, thank you all for the guidance.  John
Off topic::::: :(
Now, what happens when your miniature poodle named Chloe walks through your paint tray when you are not looking?  See the attached picture to find out.  I figure I am going to have about 2 days of work ahead of me to clean it all up. Cheers.  :'(

John Leake
1409 Briarwood Dr.
Blacksburg, VA, USA
11leake11@gmail.com
Plans arrived Dec. 2013
LE XL-D-21

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal