How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Wait. Didn't you ALREADY eat an elephant?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline devoutoccamist

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 114.0 Firefox 114.0
Wait. Didn't you ALREADY eat an elephant?
« on: July 05, 2023, 05:56:16 PM »
Yeah, 2nd time builder auditioning a 2nd project. Low and slow is appealing.

I'm here because the DE is the prettiest girl at the ball. I've heard T&F involves a lot of T. And welding. Stick and MIG are no problem.  I know TIG is 'painting with heat', but I'm really bad at it.

Before I make a deci$ion, can anyone recommend any TIG resources for the completely ham fisted?

[Name changed to protect the incompetent]

Offline okdonn

• Don in Oklahoma - DE Plans B-40, CE-02
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 115.0 Firefox 115.0
  • Eagle Type: CE
Re: Wait. Didn't you ALREADY eat an elephant?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 11:58:25 AM »
Oxy/acetylene? As I was welding some clusters on an engine mount (Woody's Pusher) yesterday, I wondered how a TIG guy could do it.
Don in Okla.  DE Plans B-40 (small), CE plans CE-02 (all weather),  Tailwind project #746 (medium),  C182A (large)
One size does NOT fit all!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Donor 2024
  • Linux (Ubuntu) Linux (Ubuntu)
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 85.0 Firefox 85.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL #H-58
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 04:13:21 AM »
Forget the stick. I understand some can use MIG successfully. TIG *is* difficult to learn. I spent hours and hours watching Youtube videos because I was determined to learn to properly use the SyncroWave that I'd bought used years ago.
The EAA has a TIG DVD. Joey on Welding Tips and Tricks, Pacific Arc Tig welding, The Fabrication series.. all on Youtube are 3 of the people I watched most. After 2 tanks of Argon, I was ready to start learning.  :)
I still recommend Oxy/Acetylene.  ;)

Offline kalazzerx

• Chris
  • Chris
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 114.0.0.0 Chrome 114.0.0.0
    • buildlog.virtualmakerspace.com
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 07:08:58 PM »
EAA has a good TIG class if you are ok traveling up there or close.  They even have some classes coming up the weekend before Air Venture.  Like meany others - I spent a lot of time on youtube and still struggle!

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal