How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Oratex covering system  (Read 4113 times)

Offline riorex2002

Oratex covering system
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:16:59 PM »
these clips from the airchair group bring up an interesting subject,the covering used in this encounter was Oratex.Seems to be a great way to save a few pounds.any one out there  using it ?
Rio vista

Offline rfeenstra

Re: Oratex covering system
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:35:56 PM »
I really wanted to use it on my DE, but i couldn't justify the nearly $5K for my project.  I know Bodacious is covered with oratex. John was at the Oratex seminar at Oshkosh this year.  He really liked it if you truly needed to save weight and could live with the price.

Rob

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:32:59 AM »
i looked at it at OSH last year. i wasn't as impressed as i expected to be.
i didn't like using a heat gun to shrink it, yall know that's a no no with Poly Fiber cause the shrinkage may not be uniform and the likelihood of overtemping it. any way, with the iron set at 350(or 250 or whatever you're using) we know its shrunk uniform. but that may not really matter with the oratec i don't know. but it does look more technique sensitive than the Poly Fiber to me. the other thing i wonder about is if it really is lighter than the old original Eagle cover job of Poly Fiber with minimum coatings...one Poly Brush and one or two cross coats of silver on top and one on bottom and no tapes. and of course the cost. and it's not Old School and it shows it. to me the look just isn't right for our Eagles which are classic old school construction thruout.
on this new thing I'm using Poly Fiber. can't go wrong...
well that's my idea of it anyway
Spencer

Offline riorex2002

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 08:02:57 AM »
Thanks ,if I had known the price I would not have bothered to post the question but I do not think schrinkage would have been any problem.The Airchair is built REAL light.
Rio vista

Offline Murray Randall

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »
Joe you keep talking Stits but haven't a lot builders used the dacron fabric called Peal Ply. Isn't that lighter yet.  I've been using the non-certified dacron  from Spruce lately but I'm thinkin Peal Ply here. Thanks Murray
Cabin Mod to XL

Offline Richfroh

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »
I recommend you stay away from peel ply for covering aircraft. It is not a covering material, but is designed for composite lay up work. It is usually not as tightly woven so the composite resin can bleed through the fibers during the vacuum bagging process.
Rich Frohmiller

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal