How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Peel Ply Covering LOOK Murray!!!  (Read 3892 times)

Offline weasel

• 2014 Donor
  • Hyper-Slow
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 33.0.1750.154 Chrome 33.0.1750.154
    • Flying Fun
  • Eagle Type: LE
Peel Ply Covering LOOK Murray!!!
« on: March 23, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »
I extended the gear on the Classic and in the process needed to re-cover the gear strut assembly.

Used light weight peel ply material that I had laying here.  

Worked good!  Note this is a non-structural test portion.

It shrinks really nice.  Used stits glue that I had here and 1 coat of poly brush. Lightly sanded then put the Nason paint right on the poly brush.

The weave filled nice.
LE - 92mmx78mm 1/2 VW 
Fisher Classic - Cassler 94mmx86mm Full VW
RV-10 - Lycoming IO-540
http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/

Offline Murray Randall

• 2015 Donor
  • Murray
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Cabin mod XL
Re: Peel Ply Covering LOOK Murray!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »
Man thats drop dead georgeous!!     Nice looking fill.    Great finish.  I'm not a hi gloss fanatic but that sure would satisfy those who are.    I was right at the brink of ordering a couple of yards to give it a try and that sure is encouraging!!!!    Many thanks.     I always have a quart of Certified Cement to use.    I have used Randolph since day one but in the spirit of things today want to do the tail surfaces in exterior latex for a trial.   And its too humid outside and I'm not doping indoors thank you.    Thanks for the encouraging report!
Cabin Mod to XL

Offline Murray Randall

• 2015 Donor
  • Murray
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Cabin mod XL
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »
From Spruce.  Polyfiber Lite 1.87 oz 72 in width $8.40.  Peel Ply 1.8 oz 60-62 in width $3.90. Non-Cert Lite 1.87 oz no width given $9.00.  The peel ply shapes up well on price.  I think it was Tom that has a well founded negative view of peel ply for Eagle covering that  I can't dismiss lightly.
Cabin Mod to XL

Offline liteflyt

• Noob
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:00:15 PM »
I have used peal ply in constructing a Foam fiberglass aeroplane, as I recall, the fabric has a release agent on it.
Not something that I would wont on a covering I wished to keep around. check around B4 you use it for your
airframe cover. Steve Whitman paid a terrible price for just a "small" change with a proven covering system.

Ref: 

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-building-supplies-epoxy-fiberglass-plywood/marine-epoxy-fiberglass/west-system-release-fabric.html

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 09:14:18 PM »
From Spruce.  Polyfiber Lite 1.87 oz 72 in width $8.40.  Peel Ply 1.8 oz 60-62 in width $3.90. Non-Cert Lite 1.87 oz no width given $9.00.  The peel ply shapes up well on price.  I think it was Tom that has a well founded negative view of peel ply for Eagle covering that  I can't dismiss lightly.
What ACS now calls "peel ply" is the same part number as the "uncertified" fabric I used to cover XL-58. It wasn't called peel ply in March 2010 but I assume it is the same fabric ACS has sold for years for use on light aircraft.

I can assure you it adheres with a vengeance with PolyTac. It is near impossible to peel apart as I found out when stripping the vertical stab for modifications. I ended up cutting the stuff off which gave me great confidence in its ability to be very suitable for our aircraft.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal