How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: XL elevator gussets  (Read 2756 times)

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
XL elevator gussets
« on: April 08, 2014, 03:32:13 PM »
When you are attaching the 3/8 aluminum tube to the 3/4" aluminum tube on the elevator, there is quite a size transition that has to be made. Do you drill a 3/8" hole in the center of the 3/4, or do you just center it as best you can on the 3/4 and wrap the .020 gusset around it and install your rivets?

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
Re: XL elevator gussets
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 05:53:43 PM »
Looking closely at page 1 & 2 on the XL drawings I'm a little confused about the ribs and how they attach. Page #2 has a sketch of the rib and because both rudder and fin are vertical the 1/4" on each side of the rib, and one end for the rudder would be 3/4" wide and the trailing edge would be 3/8" with the bends at the top of the ribs makes senses to me.  You can wrap your gusset round the tubes and you have a place to rivet on each side.  Now on page one, that is where it isn't clear to me. there isn't any sketch for those ribs. It only states that the bend is up ?  Now do you still have the 1/4" sides and the width on each end match the diameter of the leading and trail edges? If you install them that way, instead of on their sides you can only rivet them on the top as there is no rib material on the bottom to rivet to . What am I missing here? ???

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: XL elevator gussets
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 07:51:05 PM »
Looking closely at page 1 & 2 on the XL drawings I'm a little confused about the ribs and how they attach. Page #2 has a sketch of the rib and because both rudder and fin are vertical the 1/4" on each side of the rib, and one end for the rudder would be 3/4" wide and the trailing edge would be 3/8" with the bends at the top of the ribs makes senses to me.  You can wrap your gusset round the tubes and you have a place to rivet on each side.  Now on page one, that is where it isn't clear to me. there isn't any sketch for those ribs. It only states that the bend is up ?  Now do you still have the 1/4" sides and the width on each end match the diameter of the leading and trail edges? If you install them that way, instead of on their sides you can only rivet them on the top as there is no rib material on the bottom to rivet to . What am I missing here? ???
You're reading the plans too closely.....   ;)

Build the horizontal stab the same way you did the vertical stab.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal