How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Magneto quandary....  (Read 5279 times)

Offline Bugsmasher

• 2014 Donor
  • Smashin' bugs southern style
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
Magneto quandary....
« on: April 18, 2014, 05:49:43 PM »
New Slick 2220 mag...NOS from an online supplier that has hundreds of them. Just wondering of the chance of the capacitor being good. IE  safe to fly with. The only new capacitor I have found is $148. Not a problem if they are not "off the shelf" from 1969.  So what are others doing here? The Slick 4000 series cap is supposed to be a direct replacement....it is readily available.
They ask me what it's made of.....I tell them bed sheets and broomsticks seem to fly best....

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: Magneto quandary....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:27:32 PM »
New Slick 2220 mag...NOS from an online supplier that has hundreds of them. Just wondering of the chance of the capacitor being good. IE  safe to fly with. The only new capacitor I have found is $148. Not a problem if they are not "off the shelf" from 1969.  So what are others doing here? The Slick 4000 series cap is supposed to be a direct replacement....it is readily available.
I feel your pain. I too wondered about the health of the condenser in my NOS 1989 mag on the Casler 45. Because this engine has only one ignition and a bad condenser could put me in the soybeans I didn't have any trouble justifying the ridiculous price of a new condenser (nearly equal to the mag!). After flying with the original condenser for a summer, I ordered a replacement from Aircraft Spruce:

SLICK CONDENSER M3183 / K3984M3183$128.75

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/4300svcparts.php?clickkey=21530

Yes, the condenser for the 4300 series is what we use in our surplus Slicks. Just be very careful not to damage the lead when replacing the condenser.

Offline rockiedog2

• 2014 Donor
  • Joe Spencer
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 06:26:07 AM »
Casler told me that on my 45 if the conderser nut is bright its new if painted its old. he claims the new ones are really "new". seems like he priced one to me at about 90 bucks but thats been a while. and the one on my 45 is shiny so i still got the $90. he also told me it would give warning if failing...start to miss.
if i had any doubt or was flying over ravines i would spend the $ like Sam did.

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 09:17:04 AM »
Here is what to look for when you want to check up on the condenser.

Pitted points caused by excessive arcing, hard starting and rough running --etc.

The beauty of the mechanical systems are they give warning, unlike electronic which usually don't.    

I have had warning and not had warning with GM HEI.  The module going out from not changing the plugs gave warning.  The burnt through rotor cap did not.

It may be worth your while to contact Chief to find out exactly what they are selling for 75 bux here?

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/ae-am3183.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »
Casler told me that on my 45 if the conderser nut is bright its new if painted its old. he claims the new ones are really "new". seems like he priced one to me at about 90 bucks but thats been a while. and the one on my 45 is shiny so i still got the $90. he also told me it would give warning if failing...start to miss.
if i had any doubt or was flying over ravines i would spend the $ like Sam did.
Mine wasn't shiny.....

Chief does stock the condenser, here is a link to what I believe is the correct one (K3984) for $122.00:

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/aircraft/ignition-system-mags-plugs/slick-magneto-parts/slk-k3984.html

Offline Bugsmasher

• 2014 Donor
  • Smashin' bugs southern style
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 04:09:11 PM »
OK  Great news ! Thanks guys...mine has olive drab paint all over it. I will replace it and have a look over the internals as well. Almost completely finished welding and paint work as of today...got to finish my wings soon. Just want to try and have a running engine sometime this summer. Bad thing is that my boss is becoming a " get things done as fast as quickly as possible" and half doing a lot of jobs to my eyes himself. That does not go well with me at all. Period. Currently looking to hire on a new place of employment after a 9 year tour with this guy. Oh well.....
My motto is that - if you don't have time to do it right....when are you going to have time to re-do it?
Airplane projects are helping me keep my sanity....
They ask me what it's made of.....I tell them bed sheets and broomsticks seem to fly best....

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal