How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Engine Mount Tubes  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Rich Snyder

• Mac OS X 10.9.2 Mac OS X 10.9.2
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0.3 Safari 7.0.3
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
Engine Mount Tubes
« on: May 05, 2014, 04:59:13 PM »
I have been looking over the nice cross sectional view of the motor mount tube provided by Mike Pastor. It all looks good to me except that the tube itself is only about half the thickness of the tube that Leonard specifies in the plan. (.065" vs .125"). I see the 1 1/8" x .065 in the AS&S catalog but there is no .125"wall. Does this have to be 4130? What are the expected forces on this short piece of steel tube? Once the rubber bushing is in place, the steel tube will only be transferring the load from the rubber bushings and nylon or aluminum insert, to the engine mount. Does anyone think that the thinner wall tubing will distort? Lastly, will plain old black iron gas pipe weld OK to 4130? Haven't tried that myself. Rich.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Engine Mount Tubes
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »
I have been looking over the nice cross sectional view of the motor mount tube provided by Mike Pastor. It all looks good to me except that the tube itself is only about half the thickness of the tube that Leonard specifies in the plan. (.065" vs .125"). I see the 1 1/8" x .065 in the AS&S catalog but there is no .125"wall. Does this have to be 4130? What are the expected forces on this short piece of steel tube? Once the rubber bushing is in place, the steel tube will only be transferring the load from the rubber bushings and nylon or aluminum insert, to the engine mount. Does anyone think that the thinner wall tubing will distort? Lastly, will plain old black iron gas pipe weld OK to 4130? Haven't tried that myself. Rich.

I know made his LE tubes to his drawing dimensions but in fact he made his engine mount to hard fasten into the 1/2 Vw bushing tube and did rubber donuts out at the UV case attaches... You need 40-50 hardness rubber bushings on the UV mount - not shock absorber bushings which are too hard and don't insulate the motor from the airframe...

The XL tube is available at Spruce in .120 wall here: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/4130tubing_un1.php

Offline Rich Snyder

• Browser:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 05:27:35 PM »
I know made his LE tubes to his drawing dimensions but in fact he made his engine mount to hard fasten into the 1/2 Vw bushing tube and did rubber donuts out at the UV case attaches... You need 40-50 hardness rubber bushings on the UV mount - not shock absorber bushings which are too hard and don't insulate the motor from the airframe...

Thanks Steve. Help me with the abbreviation though. UV?? I'm thinkin' Ultravair? Universal? Sorry...Dumb rookie.  I think I will order the 4130 tubing,(Pipe), as per Leonard's XL plans. And thanks for the 4130 tube page! Rich.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 06:03:26 PM »
Thanks Steve. Help me with the abbreviation though. UV?? I'm thinkin' Ultravair?
 In Eagler lingo UV = Ultravair . . .

Offline Rich Snyder

• Browser:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 06:09:36 PM »
Great! Made a good guess.;D Rich.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal