How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Cruise Speed  (Read 6007 times)

Offline chadd

Cruise Speed
« on: December 17, 2013, 09:30:32 AM »
For any of you guys that have completed the Double Eagle, what kind of cruise speeds are getting? 

I know what the published numbers are, but I was wondering if anyone went with a 70 or 80 hp VW motor, prop, and static rpms you guys are running and the cruise speeds as a result.

Thanks

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
Re: Cruise Speed
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 05:51:42 AM »
Here are the current numbers for DE Stubby:

DE built mostly per plans, except engine, added doors (streamlined), customized goodies (more weight).

Engine is Great Plains 2180 w/ Force One Hub, starter, alternator, dual ignition, oil cooler, carb heat, rated 80 hp @ 3600 rpm (heavier than Leonard's prototype)

Carb is Zenith, GP model 2122, Zenith body style 267, tag #14998A

Prop is Sterba, 62 x 26, modified by thinning the tip profile

Static, full throttle, 3150 rpm

Cruise, 2900 rpm, 75 mph; 3000 rpm, 77 mph indicated

Full throttle, 3140 rpm, 80 mph

These are representative from notes over a period of time and testing.  Conditions vary, give or take a couple mph?

Hope this helps,
Tom H
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline High Noon

• Flying Cabin Eagle
  • Eagle Type: Cabin Eagle
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 02:03:54 PM »
Tom,

Too bad you live down south, or we could do some climb / takeoff / speed comparisons side by side....

that would be fun.

High Noon
SHANE

Offline rfeenstra

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:47:54 PM »
Wonder what my A65 will do.  It should give quite a bit more pull.  don't want to go too fast, I'm building it to go slow1

Offline High Noon

• Flying Cabin Eagle
  • Eagle Type: Cabin Eagle
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 04:53:42 AM »
Overspeed shouldnt be an issue.
Just pull throttle back.
Handles SUPER at 45  to 55. In fact at 60+ I think the ailerons are a tad heavy.
And with that A65 you should be able to swing a nice big prop if you have enough gear height.

To chads question, 60 to 75 cruise speed should be the range youll find yourself in.
Seems like most guys buy a second prop.

In fact if you ask someone on here might have one to get you started with, when the time comes.
Double check clearance as you build gear. You want to swing a 60" prop at least.

High Noon
SHANE

Offline Leonard

• The Boss
  • Designer
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 29.0 Firefox 29.0
    • Better Half VW
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 06:03:05 PM »
Hi Guys,
 Every plane has a sweet spot where the rpm's and the speed feel the best just cruse at that speed and enjoy the ride this is not a fast plane if the  ailerons get hard that is telling you something.   Leonard

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal