How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: wing root blocking between spar caps  (Read 5658 times)

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
wing root blocking between spar caps
« on: May 20, 2014, 08:16:33 AM »
On the wing root, the filler blocking appears from the drawing to have a vertical grain piece at the very end and the other blocking to be horizontal grain  . In other words two different pieces of wood. is this correct?

Offline Rich Snyder

• Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mac OS X 10.9.3
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0.3 Safari 7.0.3
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
Re: wing root blocking between spar caps
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 04:24:39 PM »
On the wing root, the filler blocking appears from the drawing to have a vertical grain piece at the very end and the other blocking to be horizontal grain . In other words two different pieces of wood. is this correct?

No that is not correct. I don't know which page of the plans you are looking at but the grain of the root blocking goes the same as the grain in the spar caps. Have you made your ribs yet? Don't be asleep at the switch as I was. Make sure the forward rib height matches the front spar height. Rich

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 06:34:40 PM »
I made the spar to match my ribs. I'll cut a 10 degree angle on the forward upper edge of the spar once I have my web glued in place and build my nose ribs to match the spar. On my  drawings it has  vertical line drawn at the root end and appears to have like a 3/4 x2 on the very end. I just laminated my 3/4 stock and ran it all horizontal with the top piece 15" long and cut at an angle with the bottom piece 3"and glued it between the spar caps. . I'm going to run my wing brackets at n angle so I can raise my wing the same height as the top longeron..

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 34.0.1847.137 Chrome 34.0.1847.137
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 10:08:59 PM »
All the intercostals are built with the grain vertical. The grain for doublers for blocking go horizontal with the spar except for small blocks used for gussets which are diagonal grain...

Bob
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 05:04:55 AM »
Aircraft Structure Definitions: 'Intercostal' Part connecting two ribs for attachment of systems. So you are saying the root end should have a vertical grain block where the two joined ribs attach to the spar? would the same apply to the other end of the wing?

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 34.0.1847.137 Chrome 34.0.1847.137
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 08:22:23 AM »
What I mean for "intercostals" are the strips of wood between the spar caps at each rib on the spars......

Bob
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 08:28:44 AM »
OK   :)

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal