How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Drawings  (Read 11283 times)

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.114 Chrome 35.0.1916.114
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
Re: Drawings
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 07:10:36 AM »
I also am a newby and first time builder. Building the DE. Doin the ribs at the moment, (lots of fun)

Of the 28 Ribs i note there are aileron and Non Aileron Ribs. I have Leonard's full size rib drawing that shows what i understand to be the aileron rib. Is there somewhere in the plans that shows what the non aileron rib looks like. I cant seen to find a picture of it. Leanard talks of it in the video but i cant seem to see a diagram.

sorry if this has been raised before, just need to know so i dont build too many of the wrong ribs

regards Paul
DE-69

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 10:03:20 AM »
I also am a newby and first time builder. Building the DE. Doin the ribs at the moment, (lots of fun)

Of the 28 Ribs i note there are aileron and Non Aileron Ribs. I have Leonard's full size rib drawing that shows what i understand to be the aileron rib. Is there somewhere in the plans that shows what the non aileron rib looks like. I cant seen to find a picture of it. Leanard talks of it in the video but i cant seem to see a diagram.

sorry if this has been raised before, just need to know so i dont build too many of the wrong ribs

regards Paul
DE-69
Paul, A DE builder will probably chime in with your answer, but you can build all the ribs as "aileron" ribs if you wish and everything will fit. The aileron ribs have slightly different gussets near the trailing edge but they will fly just fine in the rest of the wing.

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Browser:
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 11:02:19 PM »
Thanks Sam , that does help somewhat but was still trying to figure out what the difference is.

cheers Paul:)

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 05:10:32 AM »
Thanks Sam , that does help somewhat but was still trying to figure out what the difference is.

cheers Paul:)
Paul,

Look at dwg 38. It shows a rib member located for the aileron nose rib. This is an "aileron rib". The remainder of the ribs don't need this piece, it can be omitted.

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Browser:
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Hey Sam I think I get what your saying. I have attached a PDF with some notations.

I have highlighted the Capstrip you say is not required in the non Aileron ribs in pink (the one that butts to the Aileron spar Web) This cab strip and the 2 gussets can be omitted.

What I am wondering, and think I have seen in an image somewhere in what i believe to be the NON Aileron rib is a replacement capstrip that runs from the top of the Vertical capstrip in front of the pink (one to be omitted) to the bottom of the one behind the omitted (pink) one to reinforce the structure due to the now omitted (pink capstrip). I have drawn this and highlighted in green. This is what I am trying to ascertain..

Hope this makes sense. Sorry if i sound like a dog with a bone on this but just want to get it right. no point in building ll the ribs and have the inspector send it it to the bin.

I so appreciate your help. Being a newbie sometimes is a bit daunting, but Questions are the way to go. Hope to learn heaps at Oshkosh.

cheers  and blue skys for all - Paul

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 05:06:58 PM »
Hey Sam I think I get what your saying. I have attached a PDF with some notations.

I have highlighted the Capstrip you say is not required in the non Aileron ribs in pink (the one that butts to the Aileron spar Web) This cab strip and the 2 gussets can be omitted.

What I am wondering, and think I have seen in an image somewhere in what i believe to be the NON Aileron rib is a replacement capstrip that runs from the top of the Vertical capstrip in front of the pink (one to be omitted) to the bottom of the one behind the omitted (pink) one to reinforce the structure due to the now omitted (pink capstrip). I have drawn this and highlighted in green. This is what I am trying to ascertain..

Hope this makes sense. Sorry if i sound like a dog with a bone on this but just want to get it right. no point in building ll the ribs and have the inspector send it it to the bin.

I so appreciate your help. Being a newbie sometimes is a bit daunting, but Questions are the way to go. Hope to learn heaps at Oshkosh.

cheers  and blue skys for all - Paul
Omit the pink capstrip from the non-aileron ribs.

The green capstrip is not needed in any of the ribs.

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Browser:
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 07:14:51 PM »
Thanks Sam 
cheers Paul

Offline Richfroh

• Rich Frohmiller
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
  • Eagle Type: Cabin Eagle
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 10:19:18 PM »
I don't have my plans in front of me, but I thought all the ribs are built as aileron ribs on the DE and are all the same. That is how I built mine. How did those of you with flying DE's build them?
Rich
Rich Frohmiller

Offline rfeenstra

• 2017 Donor
  • CabinBuilder
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
  • Eagle Type: DE w/Cabin Mod
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 07:04:02 AM »
Yup, all of mine are the same.

Rob

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal