How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Propellers  (Read 3795 times)

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Propellers
« on: June 25, 2014, 03:05:44 PM »
Well folks, there's been more propeller testing done.

Disclaimer!  This testing was on one LE XL with minimal instruments.:)

I had an opportunity to adjust a propeller which the tips, lets just say, had a mishap. This prop started life for a 45 HP. I've had thoughts of what would happen if I crafted a propeller of much smaller diameter(to reduce Noise) and change the blade distribution a bit. So a customer with a 37HP needed a prop, the math said it would work, so adjustments were made.

Typically I make a 55" diameter x 22" pitch for the 37HP. The new design is 52.25" diameter x 22" pitch.

So I loaded up the RV6 and flew it over, we installed the prop and it was test flown.

Initial observations by those who have been around this aircraft:
Quieter.
Got off ground a bit quicker.
Higher static rpm. near 3500 ( this dropped when plane began roll out for departure and was 3400 at climb)
Max rpm at WOT level flight 3650
Climbed better
Cruised a bit faster at lower rpm than previous prop.

Needless to say I am pleased with the results, I also had a great time visiting with friends. Guess I need to deliver more props in person. I'm always looking for another reason to go somewhere.8)
Frank

Offline weasel

• 2014 Donor
  • Hyper-Slow
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
    • Flying Fun
  • Eagle Type: LE
Re: Propellers
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »
Good to hear Frank.  This may be useful information when you do another one for the Classic.
LE - 92mmx78mm 1/2 VW 
Fisher Classic - Cassler 94mmx86mm Full VW
RV-10 - Lycoming IO-540
http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 30.0 Firefox 30.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Propellers
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »
The new design is 52.25" diameter x 22" pitch.

Frank:
When Leonard was first flying the LE he had a single Zeinth carb feeding an induction system the went up thru the case bottom round steel plate cover and then branched out to the two cylinders thru the covers on the two case jug holes for cyls 1 &3 (that was Leonard's method to heat the bottom feeding zenith carb)... Some sort of a Hegy prop but performance was marginal...

He got the idea to try the Dual Mikuni's and it still wouldn't rev into the mid 3000 rpm range... He cut a 22 pitch prop down to 52" and the 1/2 came alive...

Your good running 52.25 x 22 prop is not a sample of one - that would be two that have performed well and Leonard's did not have an optimum blade area arrangement...

The best getting better ! ! !
Steve

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal