How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Power-Off Landings  (Read 4579 times)

Offline Sam Buchanan

Power-Off Landings
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:46:30 PM »
Guess this is another entry from the "Still Learning Department".

I posted a video a couple years ago showing some glide tests. I revisited this topic this evening and captured some video of power-off landings:

We've discussed this topic previously but there may be Eaglers who didn't see the discussions or will be ready to fly in the near future. Some points to consider:

1) The glide angle needed to maintain 50mph is STEEP! These are very draggy planes and the pilot who attempts to stretch a glide will come to grief. It takes discipline to push the nose over until all you see is ground but that is what is required to maintain enough speed to allow for one landing attempt that won't take out the gear.

2) This procedure is one that all of us need to practice occasionally. Making a successful power-off landing can be mastered but the trick is to make it occur precisely where you want it. I'm still working on that. But if the target is placed in the center of the windshield on my XL...and held there.... touchdown will occur pretty close to the target.

3) Speed bleeds off extremely quickly when the glide transitions to the flare. As in....RIGHT NOW! In less than five seconds I saw airspeed decay from 50mph to 25mph once the glide was broken with a fairly aggressive flare. And it has to be aggressive because elevator authority is bleeding off with airspeed.

This is good stuff and helps us sharpen our airmanship, also kinda fun. And, it is a pretty good way to land an Eagle in a short distance. Just practice so your landings occur just as your plane touches down....not afterward.  ;)

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Power-Off Landings
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:25:59 PM »
W a y  Nice ! ! !

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Scott - aka Slug Musher
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Standard L/E
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:01:34 PM »
Sam,

Nice job on the landings. I like the power off landings myself and I agree with everything you say about keeping the speed up until the flair. It bleeds off quick but once you have the attitude, (sight picture) is works out well. Nicely done.

Scott J.

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 02:53:18 PM »
Nice landings

Offline Rich Snyder

• Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mac OS X 10.9.4
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0.6 Safari 7.0.6
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 06:43:11 PM »
A real beauty there. Hope I can do as well when mine is flying. By the way... I now have TWO WHOLE FLIGHT LESSONS under my belt since Osh 2014. No giggling please. Ya gotta start sometime! :-X Rich

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal