How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Ribs done  (Read 6023 times)

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.143 Chrome 36.0.1985.143
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
Ribs done
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:11:50 AM »
Here they are 28 Prime ribs.

just finished these today, now getting the garage re configured to do the wings. have to build 2 new workbenches to acomodate these.

more fun

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 32.0 Firefox 32.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Ribs done
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 08:22:42 AM »
Paul:
If you are building two benches that fit together to do a wing half that's a good space saver... However, if you have room for two wing half benches that's a great idea as you will really build much faster - I'm not sure anyone has done that yet but I plan to do another build that way...

You can be making small items for the fus while waiting for glue to dry on the wings... Do pay note to the flying changes being discussed by the Michigan & Ohio DE guys... It's also informative to note that of 3 know DE's (1 in Michigan and 2 in Ohio) there are 2 cabin variants... Michigan and Ohio are of course 4 season states with a bias to the cold ones... Tom Hubbuch is considering doors for Stubby too...

Anyway, build light!...
Steve

Offline Murray Randall

• 2015 Donor
  • Murray
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Cabin mod XL
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:11:46 AM »
Good for you    Great for you    I was real lazy and bought finished ribs on Barnstormers.    I'm finishing up my wings right now and was thinking what a great benefit having scarfed the spar webs has been.    Yeah we've gone thru scarfing talk, generally polite discussions, many many times.  I let that war rage around without firing off a round, so don't I get to mouth off now?  Damn it scarf now and make the rest of your life a whole lot easier.  I use a 4" belt sander, pencil mark an inch up and use the ply lines, keep em parallel. Its easier to do than it is write aboout it.  Like Steve says keep busy while that T88 sets, don't use T88 as an excuse to goof off.
Cabin Mod to XL

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 07:19:44 AM »
Not trying to hi-jack the post, but re: Steve's post:
" . . . . It's also informative to note that of 3 know DE's (1 in Michigan and 2 in Ohio) there are 2 cabin variants... Michigan and Ohio are of course 4 season states with a bias to the cold ones... Tom Hubbuch is considering doors for Stubby too..."

Stubby lives in the great state of Kentucky, just to set the record straight.  And, he's planning to make another cross country flight to the annual Ky. EAA Sport Aviation Weekend at Ky Rough River State Park over the weekend of Sept 19-21.  If, of course, the weather is decent.

Speaking of weather, we do have 4 seasons, so I did install doors on Stubby last summer/fall.  It made the airplane much more pleasurable to fly in all temperatures, especially in the cooler times.  And, I believe the doors increased our cruise speed by about 5 mph.  It's not a cabin mod, so my head is always real close to the door, but not a problem.  Looks slicker, too.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.143 Chrome 36.0.1985.143
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies, all information and chatter very appreciated from this far away, I don't know if any LE's or DE's flying yet here in Australia, although Lenard told me he has sold a heap of plans here. The only ones i know are yours truly (DE), Grant Booth in Temora NSW (DE) and Greg Kublar in Gympie QLD (LE). would be interested in anyone else building the type to contact me via PM.

In answer to you comment Steve, I will had a big shed but I am working out of a 1.5 car Garage so space is tight, so organisation is the key for me. Grant on the other hand has a hanger and lives next door (the Dream!). Greg also lives on a farm so he has space. When i embarked on the project I had the support of family for exclusive use of the garage, After all as I said to them Boeing don't let their employees park right in the factory ;)
I got the Idea for the spilt bench from Sam Buchanans build site, although I may make mine 3 feet wide instead of 2. Anyhow it will give me some flexibility, just gota keep them lined up.

Murray, re Scarfing, Grant booth used a technique to create a splice in the timber for the spars (cap strip). he built a ramp 12:1 slope and this was the base for a router jig. The timber was clamped in the jig and the router run over the timber, The joint came out perfect. I imagine the same thing could be done for the webs. I am about to start the spars so might experiment with this technique first.

Tom H good to hear your thoughts about doors, we live in a pretty warm climate so i will probably leave the doors at this stage, I guess I could always fit something later for the cooler months of the year, but might have to investigate forming a bubble type door to fit my shoulder width. HAHA.

Sounds like to get togethers would be fun, perhaps when we get a few together we can have a LE/DE fly in but thats a little we off yet.
will keep you posted on the build. 

I enjoyed myself at Oshkosh and all the guys i met this year. I am trying to arrange to come back next year.

Offline Murray Randall

• 2015 Donor
  • Murray
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
  • Eagle Type: Cabin mod XL
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »
If I were scarfing caps I would simply run them thru the table saw.  Scarfed many dimension pieces with the table saw.  But thin plywood wants a firm flat backing support with pressure from above.  The spar web to edge of your bench mark up an inch and buzz it off with the belt sander.  Try it before you get all cranked up on fixtures.  But many a talented Eagle builder is flying happily without scarfing.
Cabin Mod to XL

Offline Rich Snyder

• Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mac OS X 10.9.4
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0.6 Safari 7.0.6
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 07:30:17 PM »
Looks good Paul- Glad to see you are making progress. That row of ribs will soon be a wing. Cheers, Rich.ß

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »
On my LEXL spar skins are not scarfed. Just butted on top 1/2" wide rib interlace
Les Homan

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 37.0.2062.120 Chrome 37.0.2062.120
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »
On my LE..the 1/8" Spar was not scarfed, and my joint intercostals were 3/4" x 3/4"  the rest were 1/2" x 3/4" The Leading Edge ply was even butt jointed over the 1/4" nose ribs, the rest of those were 1/8"... Scarfing on the Eagle is too much work.
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline Sam Buchanan

• Beta testers
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 04:01:24 PM »
On my LE..the 1/8" Spar was not scarfed, and my joint intercostals were 3/4" x 3/4"  the rest were 1/2" x 3/4" The Leading Edge ply was even butt jointed over the 1/4" nose ribs, the rest of those were 1/8"... Scarfing on the Eagle is too much work.
Same here.........and agree on the scarfing.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal