How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Station No. 1 for XL  (Read 3847 times)

Keith Silva

Station No. 1 for XL
« on: October 08, 2014, 09:45:01 PM »
Hi:

Drawing No. 8a for Station No. 1 shows the 13.5 and 11.5 dimensions from the outside of the tubes. Drawing No. 4 seems to indicate the same. However, drawing No. 6 says all dimensions are from the center of the tubes. So, is the Station No. 1 layout based on dimensions to the tube centers or outside edges?

Thanks, Keith Silva
Legal Eagle XL D-89

Offline Poorman2

• 2014 Donor
  • Noob
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 37.0.2062.124 Chrome 37.0.2062.124
  • Eagle Type: LE XL A5 - B40
Re: Station No. 1 for XL
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 01:26:46 AM »
Keith, all measurements are to the center line.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.0.2 Safari 6.0.2
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
Re: Station No. 1 for XL
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 05:57:48 AM »
  So, is the Station No. 1 layout based on dimensions to the tube centers or outside edges?

Thanks, Keith Silva
Legal Eagle XL D-89
Kieth, I'm guessing your long past this area and question and it was also already answered correctly but I thought I would splash a bit of water on this for all tube and fabric planes in general.

I don't know of any plans where tube stations or locations are not called out to the center line of the tube.  This facilitates laying out your weld table or if you use sliding jigs like mine  (V-blocks slide on parallel rails-for multiple aircraft building)  You can measure to this center mark and then devide your tube dia. in half. Thus your known placement will be dead on.  

Of course most of these planes will allow a fudge factor, but if you always shoot for right on the mark, you will be good to go at the end.  We all know about how important it is to keep things square, but many have gotten off in the past as they have squared off of one station to the next.  Any little error along the way then gets compounded.   Alway use a center line from nose to tail and never waver from it, per station. 

Not pointing out anything new here, just passing on general info.

Best of success.

Scott Weinberg
irondesignairparts@gmail.com
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal