How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Motor mount filler  (Read 3504 times)

Offline XL-C-100

• Nate
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Motor mount filler
« on: October 29, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »
i am trying to make sense of page 8a... trying being the key word. Am I correct in thinking that I need a lathe to make the motor mounts? I found the rubber mounts for sale but I need some help with how everyone is making the steel and aluminum portions.

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.111 Chrome 38.0.2125.111
  • Eagle Type: XL #A67
Re: Motor mount filler
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:37:28 PM »
i am trying to make sense of page 8a... trying being the key word. Am I correct in thinking that I need a lathe to make the motor mounts? I found the rubber mounts for sale but I need some help with how everyone is making the steel and aluminum portions.

I had a problem with that page also.  Yes you need to machine those parts or find a friend or machinist to make them.  I had access to a lathe at my local EAA chapter.  
The aluminum tube is beveled inside diameter which slides into the 1 1/8" OD. steel tube which is also beveled inside dia. to match the bevel of the al. tube so that the rubber mounts will fit into both.   The length of the al. tube depends on where the bevel ends inside the steel tube which is 1 1/8" long.  That ugly smudge in the middle of the steel mount is a weld around the steel tube that fits into the .062 steel plate welded into the corners of station #1.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 32.0 Firefox 32.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Motor mount filler
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 03:35:13 PM »

From the yahoo group photos is this pic of the Scott Johnson process & materials:

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal