How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Blackmax axle installation  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
Blackmax axle installation
« on: November 22, 2014, 05:54:53 PM »
i have read everything on the BlackMax website about installing the axles and brakes. The only dimension I found for the length of the shaft sticking out of the 3/4 tube is a picture showing a tape measure at the 4-1/8 dimension. The best I can figure the wheel and brake caliper floats between the nut and the 3/4 tube face. It appears you tighten the nut until it bottoms out in the threads which leaves a little play for the wheel and the caliper floats on the woodruff key as well. It seems odd to me that the wheel would have side play. Am I understanding this right or missing something. I don't have the wheel kit on hand but am working on the landing gear and would like to finish the axle tube weldment. Also what size bolt did others use to anchor the axle in the tubing.
Thanks
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: Blackmax axle installation
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:50:01 PM »
Jim, it would be best to hold off on finalizing the gear until you have the Black max system in hand. Once the wheels and axles are in front of you it will be obvious how everything goes together.

There is no side play in the wheels and calipers. The calipers attach to the axles via an allen set screw and key on the shaft. I set up my system so the calipers butt against the gear tube, the set screws lock the calipers to the axle and the axle protrudes from the wheel enough to adjust the nut to proper side load.

I used an AN3 bolt to secure each axle to the gear tube. If you really feel the need to proceed with the gear legs, the axle can be located later when drilling it and the gear tube for the bolt.

All this is difficult to visualize without having everything on hand.

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
Re: Blackmax axle installation
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 07:18:20 PM »
Thanks Sam, I missed the set screw in the caliper. I thought it was odd the caliper would float on the woodruff key. So I am assuming with the caliper against the tube you can adjust the axle nut to take out any side play. They are using a nyloc nut instead of a cotter pin to keep the nut in place. You are right though about waiting on the parts . Maybe I'll work on something else until they get here.
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal