How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: ProSeal and Ethanol Gas  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Hugh Sistrunk

• Black Hut Ops
  • Beta testers
  • NightEagle
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 35.0 Firefox 35.0
  • Eagle Type: XL
ProSeal and Ethanol Gas
« on: February 19, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »
Ok , I know this is not a new subject, but I am looking for update 1st hand experience with something that may not even be a problem.
Of those that have built aluminum fuel tanks, and used ProSeal ( or SealPak) and run Mogas with the standard 10% of Ethanol -

Have you had any problems with sealant breakdown?

Waiting to hear actual experience and first hand knowledge -
thanks

Hugh
NightEagle
The build of XL A-30 is complete

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Windows
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: ProSeal and Ethanol Gas
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 03:45:34 PM »
Congrats on the completion ! ! !

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.115 Chrome 40.0.2214.115
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Re: ProSeal and Ethanol Gas
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 06:24:07 AM »
Hugh, Congrats on the plane.
Got this from Spruces info on pro seal, second to last comment. i know not much but.

Can this Pro-Seal be used on plastic gas tanks?
Per our tech: This a tricky one. The manufacturer doesn't recommend it, but builders have used it as a sealant for fuel probes and gaskets for years. The manufacturer doesn't have any lab tests to show how well it works or doesn't work on plastic, so they will not recommend it.

What is the working time of this Pro-Seal sealant? I need something that has a 2 hour work time.
Part # 09-38560 has a 2 hour work time, 64 hr tack free time, and 112 hr cure time. Variations in temperature and humidity can affect cure time.

Can Pro-Seal be used for fiberglass tanks?
The manufacturer has not tested this material on fiberglass, so they can not guarantee how well it will adhere, but in general, if the surface is contamination free and has a smooth surface, it will adhere. We suggest contacting whoever made the tank, and ask their suggestion for sealing cracks, or pin holes, in the tank.

Can I use ProSeal to seal an oil tank for a race car?
The manufacturer does not list any tests for oil, but it should work fine for pin holes and sealing around rivets on aluminum tanks.

Which solvent do I use to clean and remove the uncured sealant?
There are a few solvents you could use. We recommend using one of the RPM Technology products. Please click the link below for the listing:

Click Here for RPM Technologies Products

Is this Pro-seal a Type I Class B sealant?
It is a Class II Type B2 sealant

Is this Pro-Seal sealant resistant to ethanol?
Over the years it has been used in applications with ethanol, but there are no lab tests or certs to show it will work.

Is this product Proseal 1425? Can it be used to seal plexiglass windows to aircraft frames?
No. This product is not the PPG PR1425, but we do have a 3M AC-251 window and canopy sealant part number 09-04008 that should work for your application.
Frank

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal