How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Fuselage tubing length order new build.  (Read 6096 times)

Barracuda

Fuselage tubing length order new build.
« on: February 28, 2015, 07:08:34 PM »
New to the site.  First build for something in the air. A couple of friends and I are in the works for an xl we have shop set up, an engine with a prop and are looking to start with fuselage. We have the plans from Mr Milholland. We are in northeast texas and trying to figure out the best source for tubing and a list of lengths of the various sizes. I am thinking just get them from aircraft spruce but the main thing is having a better itemized list to save on the shipping costs. Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.115 Chrome 40.0.2214.115
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Re: Fuselage tubing length order new build.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 06:13:02 AM »
Welcome to the group Barracuda.
What part of East Texas?
Aircraft Spruce is a good source for the tube, I bought mine in 8' lengths so it came UPS ground. You have to splice it but it saves on cost. Just do a take off from the plans, only take a couple minutes. I bought extra 5/8" and got a volume discount,10% i think, just on the 5/8. one box weighing 48lbs had all 4130 for the fuse with considerable extra for practice. 
I like your engine choice, same here, we need to collaborate on the install. Not much out there on these.
Frank

Barracuda

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 11:17:41 AM »
Thanks for the input PropMan.  And it looks like we already have a corporate hitch. One of the builders don't want to splice now for fear of weakness, although I know that's fine. We are now talking getting a kit from Bolding. Butt I will bring up ur suggestions at our next progress meeting lol. I will post progress as soon as we make some.

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.115 Chrome 40.0.2214.115
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 11:24:35 AM »
Just refer them to the AC43.13 under repair of tube and they will see approved splice methods. Good luck with your Progress meeting ;)
Look forward to your posts
Frank

Barracuda

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 08:44:57 AM »
Looks like we are going with Boldings kit. I think it will save a lot of scrounging.  I will let you know how it looks when we get it. So far David is the only one that has been by Boldings shop as he was working in that area.

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 41.0.2272.89 Chrome 41.0.2272.89
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 10:44:26 AM »
Engine stand looks good, Have you run it yet?
Frank

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal