How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Weight & Balance - Doing the Magic  (Read 2950 times)

Offline MrG

• Builder - Pilot
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 41.0.2272.101 Chrome 41.0.2272.101
  • Eagle Type: DE E-77
Weight & Balance - Doing the Magic
« on: April 02, 2015, 01:20:02 PM »
Thursday we did a W&B on the plane, here is some info for others if they follow along these lines.
with little deviation from the plans, bar adding a engine adaptor plate to hold the chevy starter motor and a fly wheel
that was stripped of 50% of its weight. plus a magneto and the new canter landing gear,  i did not really think  this would
affect the W&B as much as it did

I knew i was in for some mods for my choices as i had info from Tom (stubbie) and what they went through, but my daughter 
who is also part builder of this plane and  i really did not want her to hand swing the prop either.  So with fuse, wings and engine
mount allready built, wrong time to start adding weight. 

If you were going down this road, you have to address this issue back in the fuse/engine mount build process. If i had my time
over again i would totally do what they had to do with Stubbie - move back the firewall there is enough room in the pedal bay
for this with no real loss, did some real quick maths for mine and about 3 1/2-4 1/2 in would be good. definitely a lot better
(you have to do your own home work) 

Overall weight was really good and was not that hard to get it back into balance  and after all the smoke cleared, cant wait to 
finish of the paperwork at the end of next week and go flying soon after that.
MrG
Temora Airport  Australia
1st Aussie DE built/flown
19-8866
-----------------------------
1 Oct 2015 First Flight
Feb 2019 - 155 hrs Flown
March 4th removed from service for Cabin Mods

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal