How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Fuel Tanks  (Read 4765 times)

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 41.0.2272.101 Chrome 41.0.2272.101
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Fuel Tanks
« on: March 23, 2015, 03:48:04 PM »
While making ribs and bending skin for my fuel tank i went an did somethin dangerous! Started thinking.

Ok, for the XL, plans show one fuel outlet at the rear inboard of the tank.

Question: Wouldnt it be prudent to have one at the front also? in case of a low fuel situation and nose down attitude, Just want to keep the fan blowing as long as possible.
Frank

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
Re: Fuel Tanks
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 10:30:22 PM »
There has been a LOT of thoughts on that for the LE.... I can't see it in my plane as if you are that low on fuel, you should have been on the ground a long time ago!!

If you have two pick-ups and one is exposed to air, which one will feed the engine????

My 2c/...
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 36.0 Firefox 36.0
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 05:48:42 AM »
In the past a lot of discussion, plenty of ideas.  Even in our group building/flying the LEU Treehugger and DE Stubby there were lively discussions.  Here is what we did.

LEU Treehugger has one tank mounted in the left wing.  It had one outlet at the rear bottom surface.  The filler port on the top was vented with a tube pointed into the airflow.  We used 3/8" urethane and aluminum tubing  from the tank outlet to the "T" near the carburetors.  The run was sloped down for its length to allow air bubbles to percolate up.  The relatively large size of the tubing resulted in the fuel flow velocity through the tubing to be relatively slow, allowing the bubbles to go up at the same time as fuel going down to the engine.  Treehugger had its problems, but never had any fuel flow issues after we went to the alum tank and this arrangement.  We had a strainer in the tank outlet and a valve there, too.  I've attached a pic showing the line.

DE Stubby has two tanks, one in right wing, one in the left.  We went round and round about the fuel system, considering a single fuel selector valve, two separate valves, one common valve, one or two outlets in each tank, on and on.  We finally ended up with two outlets, one in the side wall at the rear near the bottom, one in the side wall at the front near the bottom.  This was to answer the concern about losing fuel if in a nose down attitude.  The individual tank outlets were joined together, then those two lines came together in a "mini header tank", and fuel from one tank can equalize to the other through this, and it gives a couple minutes of run time if there are any issues.  From that a single valve was installed, then a 3/8" line to the gascolator at the bottom of the firewall.  The mini tank has a vent at its top, and a line from it to a "T" near the top of the wing surface.  This urethane tube serves as the visual fuel level gauge.  The sides of the "T" go to the tank vents, located on the side wall near the top.  The filler nozzle has the vent tube facing into the airflow.  Complicated as heck, even harder to pipe it all up.  But, we haven't found any possible fault in it during operation.  One potential long-term fault is that the fuel valve is located downstream from the urethane vent/level gauge line, and if the tube would fail when parked, a lot of fuel could leak onto the floor.  So, we keep an eye on the urethane lines.  I've attached another pic showing some of that system.

I'm not saying these ideas are the best or only correct ways, but they did and are working for us.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline stevejahr

• Still dreamin'
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 41.0.2272.89 Chrome 41.0.2272.89
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »
The current discussion has focused on front/back but there is some amount of left/right problem here too, especially if you don't get the rudder right and start sliding around.

Flat bottom tanks are always a challenge for continuity of fuel supply under all conditions.  Looking at the typical tank designs one modification I would make is to create a sump and/or angle to the bottom of the tank.  Downside here is a reduction of capacity for the space available.  This would push the limits further but there would still be flight conditions with unusable fuel.

One can use multiple outlets as shown above and it should work so long as the fuel run is downhill from the outlet at all flight attitudes.  The fuel will always "flow downhill" and find its lowest equilibrium point.  Fuel will not flow uphill very well ;-)

To push the limits further requires a surge tank.  This needs to carry its volume vertically rather than horizontally and have sufficient capacity to bridge the temporary interrupts of supply from the main tank.

Offline Will Weidner

• 2015 Donor
  • Building
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 06:54:09 PM »
I laid out a 5.6 gallon tank that has a 5 degree left to right slope on the bottom like Stevejahr described, and 20 degrees back to front.  My thought is the outlet, normally at the back, can be moved quite a bit further forward, helping to add more slope to the fuel line from the tank outlet to the front cabane strut.  20 degrees would help keep the outlet covered in gas during a steep climb.  The truncated tank doesn't interfere with the drag strut either.  I haven't figured out how to suspend the tank yet.  That's quite a ways down the road for me at the rate I'm going.

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
    • Performance Propellers USA
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 06:20:13 AM »
Thanks for the replies all! Keep em coming. Lots of good info here and i may redesign my tank(Tanks?) 8)
Frank

Offline Murray Randall

• 2015 Donor
  • Murray
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Cabin mod XL
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 07:44:19 AM »
Here's pics of my tank execution, steel embedded in the fiberglass fwd and rear, 1/8 npt.  Also show the rear spar double cap on the inbrd tank bay.   Also show little spar stands to facilitate covering in horizontal position.  This is the first wing I've done without a rotisary cause I like using rollers for the latex paint.  I'd spray dope and I have to be vertical using the HVLP sys but the late seems to like a 3" roller just fine.
Cabin Mod to XL

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal