How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Motor mount bushing measurements?  (Read 6880 times)

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.6 Safari 6.1.6
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
Motor mount bushing measurements?
« on: February 24, 2015, 03:04:26 PM »
Hello all builders,

I am looking for that one person that has the Cont. rubber engine C65-C75-C85-C90 mount bushings PO 22387 used in hanging the Engine on the XL frame.   I would like to provide you with a simple sheet showing just a few measurements that you could thus check your  rubber bushings to.  

I am trying to clarify this part greatly and then post up in the down load section.  I will give you credit if you want for providing the measurements. This is a area where I think many spend a fair bit of time at and may or may not do it correctly.   I intend to show this in very graphic detail in CAD and all will be able to see/understand and get that Ah-hah moment.  

For those of you that already have it, fantastic.  You can help the rest of us.

thanks in advance.
Scott
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Nical

• 2016 Donor
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0
  • Eagle Type: LX
Re: Motor mount bushing measurements?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 06:24:33 PM »
Would you like a dimensioned sketch??
Regards,
   N Leonard.
Merely the vain choice between unsatisfied desire and the langour of ennui...
Schopenhauer

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:22:54 PM »
that is exactly what I was looking for, I will play/work with WED and let you know if it all works well. As well as the group.
thanks for now.

Scott

Offline Nical

• 2016 Donor
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0
  • Eagle Type: LX
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 06:27:25 AM »
One point might be mentioned about these bushings: the wide variation in shore hardness depending on the supplier.
   The best are the actual Continental replacement bushings. They seem to be about shore 60-70.  Then the air parts suppliers weigh in at about 80-90. Lastly the engine specific aftermarket suppliers offer "stones". 
      Bottom line is finding original spec parts......i.e.   Continental.    Everything else is hard and unusable.
  NL
Merely the vain choice between unsatisfied desire and the langour of ennui...
Schopenhauer

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 12:12:13 PM »
One point might be mentioned about these bushings: the wide variation in shore hardness depending on the supplier.
   The best are the actual Continental replacement bushings. They seem to be about shore 60-70.  Then the air parts suppliers weigh in at about 80-90. Lastly the engine specific aftermarket suppliers offer "stones".
      Bottom line is finding original spec parts......i.e.   Continental.    Everything else is hard and unusable.
  NL
For those of you checking, this is on the Shore A scale.  There is also a D scale.   And yes, if you get the hard ones, there is little shock adsorbing ability left. Basically they transmit the vibration to the bolts (breakage) instead of stopping (adsorbing)  at the bushings.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 11:55:31 AM »
topic-I have never heard nor seen covered, though it easily could have been, these things.   (would like to know what has been done)
  •  what have you VW engine fellows done in the spool location, where the rib of about .260 on the engine case meets the bushing/spool area of the fire way.  
  • in refernce to number 1 above, are you spreading the load with a single washer against this rib?
  • has anyone made a spacer with a grove in it, to accept this rib instead.
  • Were pull through washers discussed somewhere and I just never saw?
  • was the angle difference of the spools and rubber grommets ever discussed? this difference causing uneven support.

Ok, seems like all fairly “to be concerned about”  questions.

Scott     Iron Design L.L.C.

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 36.0 Firefox 36.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 04:58:17 PM »
Scott
 if you are talking about the engine side, the rib that was originally used to align engine to bell housing part of transmission i removed it will a course file.  rubber Bushings set right up against the engine on that side.
Les Homan

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 07:28:07 PM »
Scott
 if you are talking about the engine side, the rib that was originally used to align engine to bell housing part of transmission i removed it will a course file.  rubber Bushings set right up against the engine on that side.
 yes, that was the rib exactly that I’m talking about… I didn’t think it would hurt anything or make this area weaker, but then never heard any pros and cons in this area.

I just couldn’t see it working very well with the rib against the rubber.   I will keep working on the details.

Thanks Les

Scott

Offline Will Weidner

• 2015 Donor
  • Building
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 04:50:05 AM »
Just to go back briefly to an earlier conversation in this thread - I have bought bushings from ACS and SkyGeek.  I bought them from ACS first, and I got discouraged because they were literally like rocks.  I remember reading something Steve wrote about a thumb compression test, which these definitely failed.  I didn't realize there were any differences in the bushings from different suppliers until I read the response, below, from Nical.  This prompted me try buying some from SkyGeek.  They arrived with a copy of the certificate from Continental Motors, and were exactly what you would expect a motor mount to be like.  You can definitely close the hole with thumb pressure.  I am sure these are the ones Leonard intended us to use.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal