How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Building with Kids  (Read 2325 times)

Offline ToddK

• 2016 Donor
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.132 Chrome 43.0.2357.132
  • Eagle Type: DE
Building with Kids
« on: July 12, 2015, 02:53:25 PM »
One of the many reasons I have decided to build (Double Eagle) are my children.  I have two boys ages 5.75 who I am including in the process where ever possible.  We are gluing up the wing ribs now.  Since we are using Titebond III they can help without me having to worry about potential epoxy complications.   When working with children it is very important to plan things out and have things ready to go (especially if they are very young like mine).   I also learned that for now, it is better to let one help at a time, and for the other to be in the house with mom.  
They learn very fast. By the 2nd rib, each were gluing gussets nearly as well as any adult (a few more drips to be cleaned up.)  Needless to say, I sit with them, and monitor their progress and help out where needed.   Nothing is placed without me checking it all first and my assistance.  I typically place and staple the gusset.  They don't do all the gussets or even help with all the ribs.  But I get one of them out here whenever it is convenient.

I know many of you might have children or grandchildren.  When I was a kid my dad and grandparents included me in everything they could as long as it was reasonably safe.   It is impossible for me to express the positive impact this has had on my life.  I would encourage you all if possible to include the kids or grandkids in your build.  They will love you for it.  You won't regret it, and it will certainly have a life long positive impact on their lives.  
Todd Kammerdiener

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal