How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Foam Ribs  (Read 5452 times)

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
    • Joe's CNC
Foam Ribs
« on: September 29, 2015, 12:12:59 PM »
I have not seen anyone make Foam ribs, did a search could not find anything, Pro's Con's.?

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
Re: Foam Ribs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 02:42:16 PM »
Not sure why the post were deleted in this thread, but anyway after visiting Mr. MilHolland this past weekend at his house, I can see it is not worth trying to make the ribs from any other material than the Spruce, He handed me a Built rib and I could not believe how light it was and very strong, He said you can attach 300lbs to the bottom of the rib grab the top and lift it up, I do truly believe this it is stout, I imagine the varnish also contributes to the strength of these ribs.

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.52 Chrome 46.0.2490.52
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »
Not sure why the post were deleted in this thread, 

I think I remember a post from Scott Johnson about the extra foam nose ribs he put in his wings.

There is a possibility that a staff member could have miss-thumbed a cell phone screen and killed Scott's post.  

I am not admitting to anything, just pointing out this particular scenario could have happened.  

Perhaps it is best for staffers to visit as guests instead of being logged in as admin when on a mobile device so that this possibility is minimized...  (soliloquy..? ) 

Yo Scott, and anyone else who sent a post to this topic...  Could you send it in again, and get Steve off the hook for this..? ^-^

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Terry

• Plans Holder - LE T-19
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 41.0 Firefox 41.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:27:26 PM »
There was some mention of using extra foam false nose ribs in an attempt to reduce or eliminate dimpling on the leading edge plywood:

http://www.eaglersnest.com/forum/index.php/topic,758.msg4079.html#msg4079

Terry

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Scott - aka Slug Musher
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: Standard L/E
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 04:33:39 AM »
Dan,

I was just saying that as designed it is about as light as you can get and the strongest. I did add two false foam nose ribs in each rib bay to help with the dimpling that some had. Mine has very little distortion.

Scott J.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal