How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: The RIB JIG start  (Read 3298 times)

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.157 Chrome 44.0.2403.157
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
The RIB JIG start
« on: August 24, 2015, 07:58:36 AM »
I was asked a very simple but basic question over the weekend.  That was simply- How do I get started building the rib jig?

as many of  you know, I like to break down the build process in little steps.  With every step towards the end goal, it can make " the walk" pretty simple. So in answer, I gave these steps as a guide for the jig.

• At any big box lumber store, buy one shelving board large enough for your rib jib   9" x 60" or 10" x 60  These are typically mfg. boards, low cost and flat.  
  • Take any contact glue and tape down one of my full size drawings- without the nose rib.  Make this smooth and wrinkle free
  • While buying the board (item #1) you also bought a .750 or 1" dowel and a few screws about .6" in length  (wood screws)
  • with your 1/4" strips in hand, you can lay them exactly on the pattern or use the existing lines for the wood on the pattern to view how they (the wood) will lay
  • Cut your dowel in 1/4" rounds. (buttons)   You can easily set this up on a band saw or jig saw to get dozens of consistent cuts  (fast too)
  • Drill one slightly offset hole in the dowel (again you can set this up to drill many pieces in minutes) This hole is just larger than the wood screw size) i.e. the screw should not bind in the hole
  • take a screw, insert into hole and observe that you can swing the dowel button up against the wood or line on your drawing. Yet also be able to swing it away for the rib removal.
  • Repeat #7 for every part of the rib jig.
  • You can use these buttons for the stationary holding blocks with two holes in them or use strait small blocks of wood- your choice.

OK, done... with cutting-gluing- a small bit of measuring this whole process can take as little as a couple of hours.  And cost almost nothing in relation to the whole aircraft. And it will propel you forward in your build by allowing you to have a rib made by the end of the day.  Then depending on your day, you can easily make a rib in the morning and one at night.  (30 minutes each)

There is a complete pdf sheet for efficient  gusset patterns on my down load location on this site. 

Hope this helps, so really, less than 10 steps to have your jig made.. And of course this is just one way of many to build a rib jig.  I think the key here is to be able to just round up a few items, and soon be building it, no delays.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal