How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Wing fuel tank  (Read 27484 times)

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Mac OS X 10.10.4 Mac OS X 10.10.4
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.99 Chrome 45.0.2454.99
  • Eagle Type: XL #A67
Re: Wing fuel tank
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2015, 08:51:48 PM »
Charles. If you are going to be on rio vista Saturday you can take a look at how I did it on the yellow one. I am flying it up tomorrow
Yes, Les I will be there tomorrow and Saturday.  Thanks

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 41.0 Firefox 41.0
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2015, 06:15:33 AM »
Charles, several have suggested that the top, open end of the clear tube be connected into the top of the tank, or into the side of the filler neck.  That is important to keep the top of the fuel indicator line and the vapor area at the top of the tank at the same pressure.  Per the plans, the filler cap has a small, open tube that faces into the slip stream.  When flying, this causes the pressure in the tank to be a bit higher than atmospheric pressure.  If the top end of the fuel level tube is connected to the top vapor space of the tank, it will indicate accurately.  If it is simply left open in a space at atmospheric pressure, the higher tank pressure may push fuel through the tube and out the top.  It will not indicate accurately, and possibly be a safety issue.

I've seen fittings made for the plastic tanks that use some type of rubber grommet to seal penetration of the tank.  That would work well, especially if you are connecting into the vapor space of the tank.

As far as the slope of the fuel line from the outlet of the tank, I made DE Stubby's lines to be running downhill (and also on our LEU Treehugger, RIP), even when at a climb angle.  Other routings may work, but I don't think you can go wrong by sloping them down towards the engine.

Hope this clarifies.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.85 Chrome 45.0.2454.85
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2015, 08:16:44 AM »

Possibly just leave it inside the wing without a return to the tank?  Might that work?

It is NEVER a good idea - to have open line from fuel tank to somewhere in the wing. All the details have been covered pretty good. Just wanted to hi-lite this one. While we don't have composites in the wing, we do have things that might be of concern. "glued joints"   If you have ever smelled gas, EVER, you know this came from fumes. Gas does that... and if you vented into your wing, you are carrying them around with you...or having them in your wings, in your hanger.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Mac OS X 10.10.4 Mac OS X 10.10.4
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.101 Chrome 45.0.2454.101
  • Eagle Type: XL #A67
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2015, 10:33:31 AM »
THANKS EVERYONE.  THIS A GREAT GROUP AND A WONDERFUL SOURCE OF INFORMATION.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal