How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Ribs  (Read 3068 times)

Offline JTMaze

• Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 45.0 Firefox 45.0
    • Filter Service and Supply
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
Ribs
« on: April 07, 2016, 03:53:43 PM »
Started on my LEXL today! I built the wing rib jig using the full size drawing from Iron Design. I started to made a second jig to pre-bend the top cap strip (using the template pages from the original plans) but noticed there was a substantial difference in the overall width of the two rib designs, over ΒΌ inch. This will not be a big deal since I am only using the second jig to but a bend in the cap and will be using the Iron Design as the actual rib template but I was just curious to know if there was a difference or am I just doing something wrong. (yes I did set the printer to actual size). Thanks

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.87 Chrome 49.0.2623.87
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
Re: Ribs
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 07:08:29 PM »
Some answers, I think. But questions first.

You say you set the printer to actual size? what does that mean? I am trying to figure out what you had to print? There was a fair bit of discussion on the actual rib profile, just a bit ago (last few days of March-2016) I have shown that the CG is slightly different in estimation, but then clearly most understand, that a heavy top person vs heavy bottom person can affect the CG as much, or the simple fact of 160 lb vs 235 # pilot. 

AT 60 mph, we have little measurable differences. i.e. there are far more efficient wings out there, but at 60 mph hour, the measurable differences are almost nil.

Lastly where are you measuring the 1/4" difference? Just curious. 

Double lastly...There is simply no reason to require a second jib to pre-bend anything for the XL ribs, it can easily be done in one jib, one time, nothing radical or major here as for as 1/4" spruce is involved.

cheers
Scott
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline John Reinking

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 45.0 Firefox 45.0
  • Eagle Type: DE-E-72
Re: Ribs
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 08:21:05 PM »
Hello, Scott.    I prebent the upper stick on the ribs in a desire to somewhat (if uninformadly) help reduce the bend load on the forward inches of that stick.    Know Leonard said it isn't necessary being such small sticks  Really appreciate all the information you bring to this board.   Being a new albeit "learning on the job" builder yours and the other old pros on here have really filled in a lot of the gaps in learning about this plane.

Cheers,

John Reinking/Woodinville, WA
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal